United South America

Bolivar

WI after the independence of latin america a state like the US had been created?

I think it would be particularly hard since nothing during the period of the Spanish Empire prepared any of the people to think in the same terms as Americans did preceeding their independence. They did not consider themselves united and they certainly wasn't, no matter how hard Bolivar tried. Problems with efficient communication would also pose great problems to maintaining any form of unification.

Leaving off Brazil, which I doubt would leap into unification with the Spanish portions, all it would take would be one civil war to fracture the Southern Union. Too many of the immediate successors to Spain thought locally rather than continentally.

Straha

Banned
a united wouth america is near impossible but a south america thats divided between gran colombia, brazil, chile and argentina is possible.

Grey Wolf

Gone Fishin'
Donor
I feel that if I were to study Bolivar then I could identify some PODs and come up with a sensible answer

But unfortunately I have not done so and cannot do so

Grey Wolf

Another POD could be based around a more influential Che Gavara uniting the people of the Spanish speaking Latin American nations.

He understood their situation very well, and under the right circumstance I would imagine he could unite their aims and objectives.

Couldn't you at least unify the nations of Central America? They seem a geographical anomaly in their small size. Didn't they try a Union once?

Straha

Banned
tom said:
Couldn't you at least unify the nations of Central America? They seem a geographical anomaly in their small size. Didn't they try a Union once?
Yes in fact you could do that! United Gran Colombia and a united central america are the best we can get towards unity of the region.