H.N. Turtletaub

Diamond

Banned
This is either Harry Turtledove's real name, or a pen name. I just picked up 'Justinian', a semi-fictionalized account of Byzantium's Justinian II, and it is very, very good so far. Superior to just about all of his AH novels.

I've also seen one called 'Across the Wine-Dark Sea'; not sure what that one's about.

Diamond said:
This is either Harry Turtledove's real name, or a pen name. I just picked up 'Justinian', a semi-fictionalized account of Byzantium's Justinian II, and it is very, very good so far. Superior to just about all of his AH novels.

I've also seen one called 'Across the Wine-Dark Sea'; not sure what that one's about.

Its his pen name. I'm going on the observation that his daughter also goes by the last name of Turtledove when I met her.

Irony

IIRC he had to assume this pen name for his first published work because the publishers thought the name Turtledove sounded too much like an obvious pen name

Wine Dark Sea/Gryphon's Skull

Both very good, my favorite Turtledove's. Set just after the death of Alexander (and how many other people are known after 2400 years by one name as THE Alexander?), during the successor wars. Two cousins run a trading ship and try to make a profit and stay alive and uninslaved, not necessarily in that order.
Parenthetically, Alexander's will is supposed to consist of one sentence;
'To the strongest.'

wkwillis said:
...and how many other people are known after 2400 years by one name...

There's Hannibal, and Caesar, and Cleopatra, and Buddha, and all the heroes of the Trojan War...

Kuralyov said:
There's Hannibal, and Caesar, and Cleopatra, and Buddha, and all the heroes of the Trojan War...

Well people still call their children Alexander. How many Odysseus' have you met? lol

Grey Wolf

Gone Fishin'
Donor
Admiral Matt said:
Well people still call their children Alexander. How many Odysseus' have you met? lol

Ulysses is the other form of Odysseus so its not QUITE one name lol, and one supposes one can say Grant but Ulysses wasn't his real first name

Grey Wolf

I actually read that- pretty good- and quite funny in one part where Justinian II's bodyguard actually puts forth the idea on WI Justinian stayed up North-

As for The Gryphon's Skull- really good historical research- but kind of a let down in the end (at least that was my opinion)