Better place for the Welsers?

Faeelin

Banned
In 1528, the wesler firm of germany tried setting up a colony in venezuala. Pedictably, the german miners,err, died, although sugar plantations did decently.

What's a better place to try? And what are the effects if spain has an example of foreign investment helping new spain?

Susano

Banned
More over, the spanish betrayed the Weslers, killed their governor and retook the land. And this could happen everywhere in their lands, I suppose...

I'm thinking some place more temperate where there was less danger of getting nasty tropical fevers. Perhaps a colony in OTL Uruguay or northern Argentina? Chile, perhaps? Was there anything in these places that would attract German investment or German settlers? On the other hand, maybe somewhere north of the Spanish colonies - like somewhere along the shores of OTL Chesapeake Bay? Perhaps the Germans could come hoping to find more gold or wealthy native civilizations to loot, but end up discovering tobacco instead. It could be something like Jamestown except 60 years earlier. That would certainly mean a very different future for North America.

Another possibility - the Protestant Reformation is even more successful in the German principalities, so the Spanish offer assistance to German Catholic refugees in setting up their own colony where they can live as good Catholics under Spanish protection far away from the heretics.

Susano

Banned
Venezuela was a fief given by the spanish crown to the Weslers. It was no colonisation project of their own, so if we keep with this, we would hav eto look for another spanish place. Else, we had to change things a bit more radically.

Paul Spring said:
I'm thinking some place more temperate where there was less danger of getting nasty tropical fevers. Perhaps a colony in OTL Uruguay or northern Argentina? Chile, perhaps? Was there anything in these places that would attract German investment or German settlers? On the other hand, maybe somewhere north of the Spanish colonies - like somewhere along the shores of OTL Chesapeake Bay? Perhaps the Germans could come hoping to find more gold or wealthy native civilizations to loot, but end up discovering tobacco instead. It could be something like Jamestown except 60 years earlier. That would certainly mean a very different future for North America.

Another possibility - the Protestant Reformation is even more successful in the German principalities, so the Spanish offer assistance to German Catholic refugees in setting up their own colony where they can live as good Catholics under Spanish protection far away from the heretics.

This is similar to an idea that I espoused on the Old Board of Spain allowing German Catholics to settle in portions of Venezuela resulting in that country ending up as a mosaic of German and Spanish communities and giving it a rather distinctive culture for Latin America.

Another alternative was inspired when someone recently suggested the Papacy might demand a.piece of America when it carved them up. The concept of a large Papal colony was unrealistic but maybe a small choice papal colony which still proves too much of a hassle so the Vatican sublets it to the Weslers could work. The authority of the Papacy would protect them from Spain but not the English I'm afraid.

Colony Sites

California is hands down the best place to set up a colony. Tasmania is second, and Chile is third. New Zealand has the climate and the minerals, but the natives were disease resistent.
California-Gold, Mercury, Oil, Solar Salt, Coal, Asbestos, Sodium Borate and Sulfate, Magnesia, Guano, and Copper.
Tasmania-Gold, Lead, Silver, Zinc, Tin, Tungsten, Coal, Torbanite Shale, Copper, and Silver.
Chile-Copper, Molybenum, Coal, Nitrates, Chlorates, Guano, and Iron.