The US and Confederate Secessionist Attempts?

Faeelin

Banned
Okay, if we accept that the confederacy gains independence, and the US rebounds from its defeat, and the CSA remains as an agricultural nation...

Okay, this will upset many people. Will there be secessionist movements in the CSA?

I believe that there would be at least eventually.

Most Confederacy scenarios are North South Focused, Ignoring the East West divide, that is very strong. Once the war is over, the West will slowly realize its advantage lies more with the North and with the south. Consider the following:

1. Poor rail system in the South, which would be no better after the war. This will mean travel into the west will be hampered, and will probably result in a breakdown of th efeeling of nationhood.

2. Western sales of beef to supply northern slaughterhouses. This will result in cross border traffic as they pass South to North.

3. Strong US linked economies growing on the West Coast. The Western portions of the CSA will want their peace.

4. Old plantation system politics of the 'deep south'. If you think our south had a bad record in the last century, think what would happen in TTL.

At the very least, Texas would eventually go, particularly as the non-slave owning portions of its economy grow. It already has a history of independence, so the temptation would be very great.

Thinking the Unthinkable

One possibility is that if the Deep South dominates the CSA, the border states--possibly even including Virgina would break away.

Scenario: A decade after independence the CSA is being embargoed by Great Britain because while the border states are phasing out slavery the Deep South is defiantly saying they will never free their slaves. The border states secede and become their own republics for a while. SInce they have abolished slavery they are no longer embargoed by Britain. They should also get friendly treatment from the USA--with the possibility (Oh the horror) of seducing them back into the Union.

I see this sort of scenario much more likely than the Strong CSA with a one size fits all slavery solution that is very popular on this Board.

Diamond

Banned
Tom_B said:
I see this sort of scenario much more likely than the Strong CSA with a one size fits all slavery solution that is very popular on this Board.

I agree. It makes a much more interesting TL as well. :)

The Confederacy is doomed in the long run. Confederacies tend to break apart in anything but very tiny countries such as Switzerland.