Soviet Military Equipment

WI the Soviet Union never collapsed what nations would it have equipment and advisors supplied too, in OTL before the collapse nations like Cuba and Angola were using Soviet Equipment? Why did the Soviets have a Red Star on every piece of equipment?

Well, assuming the SU still has to deal with revolts in its satellite states, it would very likely supply arms to just about everyone who wants them. Allows them to keep some kind of influence going.... After all, Poland is out, East Germany goes (I don't think they'sd sign reunification, but they couldn't hold them in short of massive military intervention which the politzics just wouldn't bear), Czechoslovakia goes, Hungary goes, Albvania, Bulgaria and Romania may go, the Baltic states at the very least negotiate some kind of meaningful internal autonomy - it doesn't look good. I am fairly sure at this point the SU would happily part with weaponry to anyone they can count among their dwindling allies. Expect a larger influence of (pseudo-) Communist insurgent groups (FARC) as they receive Soviet support and diplomatic intervention. Expect the Islamists to have a much harder time. Serbia might get Soviet support, which could get truly nasty. And I would expect most third world countries to shop for guns much more assertively when they can choose between two big offerors. Givewn the state the Soviet economy would be in, I would expect them to sell to literally anyone, including Iran and Cote d'Ivoire (OK, not Afghanistan. But otherwise, everyone).

As to the red stars - they don't. Red stars are the official insignia of the Sovioet military and as such is painted on every piece of self-propelled hardware in their service, but when they are made, Soviet weapons do not have it, and Iraqi tanks, East German fighters and Czech trucks didn't get it. Neither will you find it on the AK47s that float around the world's arms bazaars.

carlton_bach said:
Givewn the state the Soviet economy would be in, I would expect them to sell to literally anyone, including Iran and Cote d'Ivoire (OK, not Afghanistan. But otherwise, everyone).

Why not Afghansitan? Don't forget Afghanistan had communist gov't for some years after Soviet withdrawal (until 1992 IIRC). Sovs left behind advisors and scud SSM.

well, even with worsening conditions between the USSR and the PRC, im sure china would still have access to soviet weapons. Even to this day they license produce some of the AK's and even sukhoi 27s.

WI the Soviet Union never collapsed what nations would it have equipment and advisors supplied too, in OTL before the collapse nations like Cuba and Angola were using Soviet Equipment? Why did the Soviets have a Red Star on every piece of equipment?

Excellent question, but I think USSR never collapsing is a bit ASB.

You're really stretching the definition of ASB there, bud. Maybe if your POD is 1990, but otherwise a surviving or even thriving Soviet Union isn't out of the question if you go far back enough.