Iberia still Muslim

Inspired by another thread, I wondered, most countries that go Muslim stay Muslim. What was different about Spain and Portugal? What if they were still Muslim?

Xen

Banned
tom said:
Inspired by another thread, I wondered, most countries that go Muslim stay Muslim. What was different about Spain and Portugal? What if they were still Muslim?

Reconquista (sp?) is what was different with Spain, it was conquered by the Muslims, then reconquered by the Christians. It was not a very good era to be living in Spain. I think if Spain stayed Muslim, we could see a closer knit Christian community of Europe, armies from France and Britain might actually go to Constantinople to keep the Muslims from conquering all of Europe. I can see a tenth crusade being called to expel the Muslims from Europe.

Xen

Banned
Faeelin said:
What do you mean by tenth?

To coincide with the previous 9, although not all of the took place in Europe, I think the 5th, 6th, and maybe the 7th did. The Crusades arent my strong suit.

Dunash

Banned
The Muslims didn't have a habit of expelling their Jews. If the Iberian Muslims remained fairly enlightened, no total expulsion as in 1492. Less Sefardi Jews in the Maghreb. A population of around 2 million Iberian Jews by 1948, who are expelled to Israel by an Islamified "General Mustafa Franco" (Franco in OTL was of Jewish Marranno extraction, explaining why despite being a Fascist he saved 50,000 duing the Holocaust - his offer to help many more was turned down) in 1949.

Faeelin

Banned
SurfNTurfStraha said:
with iberia being islamic expect the balkans,the caucus and possibly russia to go islamic

What? How does the survival of al-andalus make the orthodox christians decide to become muslim? (Given that al-andalus was viable until 1086, well psat the date of rus conversion).