Septinsular Republic

During the Napoleonic Wars, the Ionians declared their independence and became a republic in the French system. Eventually, Russia and the Ottoman Empire captured it. WI the Septinsular Republic had lasted longer?

Mikey said:
During the Napoleonic Wars, the Ionians declared their independence and became a republic in the French system. Eventually, Russia and the Ottoman Empire captured it. WI the Septinsular Republic had lasted longer?

Actually, the islands became a British protectorate after the Napoleonic wars, and were ceded by Britain to Greece in 1863.

B_Munro said:
Actually, the islands became a British protectorate after the Napoleonic wars, and were ceded by Britain to Greece in 1863.

I know that.

WI France, Russia, or Turkey had held onto the islands after the war?

There is also the possibility that the Austrians could have received the islands during the negotiations of the Congress of Vienna.

On the whole I doubt the Septinsular Republic could have survived much beyond the founding of Greece in the mid-1800s. I think there would be a surge in Greek nationalism following independence that would have adopted a 'manifest destiny' attitude towards the Republic. As an independent nation it wouldn't have lasted beyond the Great War, let alone the Second World War. Besides serving as a naval base for another power what other economy do they have?

The People's Septinsular Republic has an interesting ring tho.