A Different North America - How?

How could a map of North America plausibly end up looking like this?

Red = Republic of American States (RAS)
Blue = Southern American Confederation (SAC)
Green = American Dominion of Columbia (ADC)
Yellow = Republic of the Colorado (RotC)

forgot to change state/province borders but nation borders are okay

Just to clarify, I forgot to change the state borders. Just pretend that the state borders are not there but only the national (between the four ATL) borders are.

Grey Wolf

Donor
Walter_Kaufmann said:
Just to clarify, I forgot to change the state borders. Just pretend that the state borders are not there but only the national (between the four ATL) borders are.

OK, that makes more sense otherwise we would be arguing how come what is OTL W Canada had the OTL boundaries, or how come the New Mexico Territory was divided into territories as in OTL, and the only answer would likely be a post 1920s POD

Now, I got to think harder lol !

Grey Wolf

Some sort of a Britain kicks major butt in 1812 or during the revolution the northern states are the more loyalist ones with the southern breaking away (some how).
It certainly seems the green are red were once British with the red voting yes on becoming a republic in a vote similar to what Australia had, why their is still a dominion remaining is unusual though, it should be merged with the 2 others.
Anyway I don't see it as likely Britain could be in green but not red and dominion certainly seems British.

1845 -California decalres indedenpendce mexico reconizes it along with newmexico as independent.
1846- US Canada conference on border break off, GB renews its claim on oregen
1848 US-GB War- US wins Maritines and Quebec GB occupies Montana & Dakotas Peace treatry comfirms in place.
1852 south seceeds- over vast free territory US just got. Due to just war GB backs south, US lets south go- no war
1870- silver found in Colorado, Nevada, Population boom
1875 Republic of California changes name to reflect new population map :D ;) :p

Grey Wolf

Donor
DuQuense said:
1845 -California decalres indedenpendce mexico reconizes it along with newmexico as independent.
1846- US Canada conference on border break off, GB renews its claim on oregen
1848 US-GB War- US wins Maritines and Quebec GB occupies Montana & Dakotas Peace treatry comfirms in place.
1852 south seceeds- over vast free territory US just got. Due to just war GB backs south, US lets south go- no war
1870- silver found in Colorado, Nevada, Population boom
1875 Republic of California changes name to reflect new population map :D ;) :p

I think you would need a POD before the first one as Mexico is not about to say goodbye to its territories like that, and the USA is not about to ignore the opportunity to annex California

You probably need to lay with both Mexican AND US history a bit IMHO

Grey Wolf

DuQuense, your POD has to be earlier. I'd say probably around the Revolutionary War otherwise you simply can't account for the different names of the four nations.