Republican Collapse

This is My Asia entry in the Mosaic Earth starting on Sept 1 1939. I know the POD is Weak but with a infinite possibilities........... [I dion't want to talk about the TL as Such but.....]

I have two problems with it

One] It is not Japan, Japan is the Islands off the Coast and this is a Nation on the Asian Continent.
I need a New Name, ?Any Sugestions?

Two] The Republic of Japan was set up by the USA in this timeline. When they left the Republic keep operaing under the US written [dictated] Consitution. With this ISOT this is about to break down in a Japanese/Chinese kind of slow melt.

I see my Princess in the Role of Ceaser 44 BC. [Hopfully with better luck] Trying to save the Day. ?Could Ceaser have Built his empire of Rome while keeping the appearance of the Republic more intact?

?How do you think a Japan/Asia would appraoch a New Consitutional Assembly. ? My Dad [He's dead but still getting smarter] always said that with the passing of the WW2 generation whe would see a new Miliant Japan arise . ?How would a Collaspe of Democratic Japan and a New Imperial State look?

==============================

Name
Republic of Japan

Government
Constitutional Monarchy -Princess Sakuramachi Jito Head of State, acting Head of Government -after ISOT.

1814- British take New Orleans in the final battle of the war of 1812. As it was after the Peace treaty, they say "Sorry about that" and gives it back.

The loss of both Washington and New Orleans, stings the Nation.

1815- With talk of the old "Millions for Defense" and new talk of "Never Again" the old tabled bills to build a "74 Gun Man of War" Navy, are dusted off and passed. Money is approiated to build 10 MoWs, and Twenty "48 Gun" Frigates. Money is also approiated to enlarge the Military Services. Most goes to the Navy, but some is spend on the Army.

1822- A Convey of Ten Ships filled with American Missionaries headed for China is wrecked on the Japanese coast. As is the Law, the local Warlord sends then all to Heaven, except for a small lifeboat that escapes with 10 crewmen. Over 500 people are send to heaven, including Women, Children, & Crewmen.

1823- The News Rocks the Country, with differences over what our reponce should be , leading to fights, and even several Duels.

1824- The Incident with Japan has not been forgotten, In fact debate over it is the main issue in the presidential election. Andrew Jackson is Elected on a War Platform.

1825- Commodore Perry, Hero of Lake Erie, Sails into Tokyo Bay with 3 dozen "Men of War" and ten thousand Marines. [From the Halls of Montazuma, to the Beach of Tokyo Bay,]

1828- the last resistance is eliminated, and the Shogun surrenders in the name of the Emperor.

1829- the US eposes a US based Consistution, and Japan becomes a Constitutional Monarchy.

1834- Word reaches the US authorities in Tokyo, about a Russian attack on a Sahlinkin Trading Post and the Massacre of its People.

1835- US opens Two Naval Bases on the Island of Karafuto.

1848- The US buys Cuba, Hispanola, and Porto Rico from Spain for 37 million Dollars.

1852- After the failure of the Compromise of 1850, the Southern states secede from the Union, A large part of the Failure to reach a Compromise is the Purchase of the Caribbean Islands, They go with the new CSA. While there is Disappointment over this there is no Violence. The Two new Nations remain Friedly. [US/Canada]

1885- President William Jennings Brian Agrees to a proposal giving Japan back it's independence, and withdrawing the American Troops. But not before signing a 99 yr. Lease on the Karafuto Bases. 50 years of American occupation has caused great changes both in Japan and at Home in the US. Especially in the number of Japanese American children both in japan and in The US.

1894- Japan Buys the Philippines from Spain for 12 Million Dollars.

1897- Sino Japanese War. Japan Occupies Korea and Manchuria, which it renames Manchukuo. While the US -Tsk Tsks- at this. The long time bonds continue.

1902- with the Collapse of the Chinese- Britain, France, and Russia occupy and divide the Country.

1909- Newly elected Teddy Roosevelt occupies Haiti, in a tariff dispute.

1910- Japan enters in to a Defense pact with Germany against Russia.

1911- Princess Sakuramachi Jito Born [named after two famous Empresses]

1914- GW 1 begins Austria/Hungary-Germany-Italy vs Britain-France Russia.

1915- In accordance with the Treaty Japan DoWs Russia, but to Germany's dismay they also formally declare Neutrality towards Britain & France. While some in GB/France want to DoW Japan,Others point out the real possibility of pulling the US into the War on Germanys side. In the End GB/France accept the DoN. Japan begins a invasion of the Amur region.

1917- Russian Collapse- Germany signs Brest-Listov Treaty ending the Eastern Front War. Russia begins preparation to ship Army to Amur. Russian Revolution Stops this. Japan realizing they have been left hanging by Germany, begins construction of Trenches along the Amur River. The troops Some of which are 300-500 miles beyond the river, are ordered to fall back to defense positions, Dig in And Hold.
1919- 3rd day in the 3rd month, the war end with Germany's surrender.

1921- Russian Civil War ends

1922- With Comrade Lenin firmly in Control, the Russians launch a attack to regain their lost Amur Province. The Japanese have had Five years to get ready. Their troops are sitting in a Series of Concrete trenches running from Mongolia to the Sea of Okhots. They have large Steel Concrete Barracks Buried deep behind the lines with Kitchens, Showers, and Hot water. [OTL German WW1 Trenches]. The Russian Bounce like the worst of the GW Battles. Even trier New tanks are useless.

1923- The Battle settles down like the Stalemate on the Western Front 6 years previously. A “Cold†war starts.

1928 - Princess Sakuramachi Jito, Graduates from Tokyo University with a BA in History

August 30th 1939 Princess Sakuramachi Jito arrives in Vadivostok to open a new Hydro Electric Dam in Amur province.

Wednesday Septembre 1st , 0800 local........................

Economic Isoted Area
Japan has controlled Korea, and Manchukuo for , forty years, and Amur for twenty, As such while Korea is almost as Developed Industrially as the Home Islands, and Manchukuo the agricultural centre, Amur is still mostly underdeveloped, except for Electric production, The giant dam, the Princess was to open was the fifth of ten under construction. It is believed [wrongly of course ] that this will satisfy the electric needs for the next thirty years. Almost all Japanese and lots of American Companies, have subsisitary plants in Korea and Amur, Ranging from home Items to Trucks, Airplanes & Shipyards. There is a Extensive RR system, running high speed steam locomotives, thru a move to Electric Locomotives is underway. There are also about 500 miles of Autobahns, with more under construction. Oil was discovered in Habin, Manchukuo in 1937, and a large refinery is under construction in the area.

William Jennings Bryan was born in 1860 making him 25 in 1885.

I doubt that with out a major reason, Spain would sell its colonies. The Compromise of 1850 was mainly prompted by the aquisition of the Mexican territories. You dont have that in you timeline. Ill assume you meant it any way. The compromise wasnt really something I think the south would depart on, especially if the US just bought Spains caribean possesions.

Two Problems?!

The ATL is littered with problems on each and every entry. You guys doing the Mosaic Earth stuff seem to be learning your history from Anime books and fourth grade history books in any other language but your own.

If there was a US dictated constitution there would be no constitutional monarchy. I'll leave it at that since it would take a day or two to full list the problems.

Straha

Banned
David S Poepoe said:
Two Problems?!

The ATL is littered with problems on each and every entry. You guys doing the Mosaic Earth stuff seem to be learning your history from Anime books and fourth grade history books in any other language but your own.

If there was a US dictated constitution there would be no constitutional monarchy. I'll leave it at that since it would take a day or two to full list the problems.
now do you see why I tend to avoid mosaic earths?

Sorry

I admitted the problems at the begining, i said that the Tl was simply to set up the Area I wanted in ME. And that I wasn't interested in the Tl. But I knew if I didn't post a TL My first three posts whould be ??Why is there no TL with this?? :rolleyes: ?I take it No one is interested in discussing ATL or PODs rising from Republic collaspes,and what replaces them?

DuQuense said:
I admitted the problems at the begining, i said that the Tl was simply to set up the Area I wanted in ME. And that I wasn't interested in the Tl. But I knew if I didn't post a TL My first three posts whould be ??Why is there no TL with this?? :rolleyes: ?I take it No one is interested in discussing ATL or PODs rising from Republic collaspes,and what replaces them?

Yes you did, but you have more than problems, you have an unworkable scenario of which not the least problems is the one already pointed out, but also a woman in semi-traditional Japan becoming a leader? Sounds like something I saw recently from Disney. A Shogun that surrenders? He would commit seppuku first, or die in the field. Seppuku if the Emporer ordered him to surrender, after complying, but the Emporer would not have been that involved, and if he was, chances are many individuals would have kept fighting until they either died or won.

You also need to realise that the Japanese Army in China was out of civilian control in the 1930s. It was this that set the tone and texture of the entire period to 1945. This is a mindset of ultra-nationalism generated by an ingenuous West, and a rigidly traditionalist outlook. Japan had that traditionalist outlook in the 1830s, perhaps even more so that they did in the 1930s.

A nation like Japan would not have accepted a constitution from the Americans in the 1830's and the ongoing military occupation of Japan by the Americans would have decimated them, the Americans. Guerrila warfare, Ninja assassins, to destroy the military command and infrastructure, continued resistance and ritual suicide would have made Japan America's Vietnam 140 years before the event. There is also the loss of professionalism that the futility of an unwinnable war and an intractable enemy who just refuses to surrender Entire mindsets had to change, and that needed a huge event like WW2 and the bombs, something not achievable or credible prior to 1945.

What you are outlining is imaginative, but lacks enough genuine historical or social understanding to make it remotely real or even credible. Having said that, I like the idea that Perry tries to do a Cortez on Japan. There is real legs in that one. Using the reality of the Mongol invasions, and the battles that led to the Tokugawa Shogunate, the ideas and threads they generate, could provide a real underpinning to a credible ATL and story line.