Galileo-Saint?

How exactly does he become a saint? Is he executed and a later, Copernican Pope (hopefully not as late as OTL) denounces the Church's leaders @ the time and canonizes him?

Or does he convince the Church that his theory is correct, leading to a more pro-science Church?

Condottiero,

I know he wasn't executed; I figured that could be the POD. I'd heard that one of the Catholic Church's qualifications to be a saint is that the person is martyred.

Perhaps the Church is more flexible @ the Council of Trent and they denounce some of the previous Popes.

Matt in regards to your first post Galileo convinces the church he is correct and it takes a more pro-science. BTW get the book REVISIONS just out. It's an AH collection with a story featuring Galileo although indirectly.

hmmm. You don't need to be martyred to become a saint, though it helps (the founder of opus dei is well on his way, and he died in his bed).

Here's a thought: Galileo was a devoted mathematician as well as scientist. Assuming the Renaissance church is just a bit more Pythagorean (say, Pythagoras' writings have a wider influence in Antiquity, or the manuscript survival patterns differ, or maybe the celestial mechanics are better understood and thus it is an accepted fact that God writes in *complicated* maths)

Thus, he could well use his considerable mathematical skills as what might be called a theologian. If what I read is correct he was a bit of a rigorist, loved to dispute, and overflowed with interesting ideas. As the spiritus rector of a seminary, he could assemble a devoted following of priests who pursue God through numbers. A few decades after his death, mniracles are sure to accumulate.

On an unrelated note: my spellchecker insists that 'Opus Dei' should read: Opus, die. A snide comment on 'Bloom County', perhaps?

On an unrelated note: my spellchecker insists that 'Opus Dei' should read: Opus, die. A snide comment on 'Bloom County', perhaps?

HA! i love it.

Matt Quinn said:
Condottiero,

I know he wasn't executed; I figured that could be the POD. I'd heard that one of the Catholic Church's qualifications to be a saint is that the person is martyred.

Perhaps the Church is more flexible @ the Council of Trent and they denounce some of the previous Popes.

No it is not necessary. In fact you may be a martyr and not a saint or the other way round.

Concerning Galileo we must not forget that initially he had the Pope's support for his research. Then there were some denounces from the calvinists that were take seriously by some guys in the Inquisition... WI the catholics took the calvinist critics as a matter of honor against a catholic scientist and decided to support him?