AH Challenge: public floggings in the USA

Straha

Banned
your challenge is to make public flogging a common punishment for criminals of any race in the USA by 2004

Straha said:
your challenge is to make public flogging a common punishment for criminals of any race in the USA by 2004

In point of fact, public flogging WAS a common punishment for criminals in the USA, regardless of race, in the 18th and early 19th centuries, especially in small towns which did not want to have the expense of maintaining a local jail. It was also commonly used in prisons.

I think Delaware still has flogging as a legal punishment, but it's never used (sort of like those "no chaining alligators to fire hydrants" laws).

Perhaps reduce the counterculture movement somewhat and public flogging stays ("law and order"). Or no income tax, which means the feds don't have the largesse to give to the states, which means the money never trickles down to the local-local level and flogging is thus more economical than prison.

Watson come here

A variation of behaviorism which is very positive about the use of negative stimuli (pain) to regulate behavior comes into vogue.

Constitutional / Supreme Court Problem

This may be more difficult then first appears with out unleashing NUMEROUS side effects.

Considering that to be consistent with The Supreme Court rulings of the last 40 years they would surly rule this to be a violation of the 8th amendment "Cruel and unusual Punishment". I see little chance of flogging being upheld by the court without many of the other rulings that have so influenced our current society also going differently. Most notably

Furman v. Georgia 1972 (Death Penalty ruling.)

and possibly

Mapp v. Ohio, 1961 (Exclusion of Evidence)
and
Miranda v. Arizona, 1966

and numerous other lesser known cases.

I think the question becomes more of a what if the supreme court was more conservative.

Random Unicorn

From what I've read, the last public flogging in Delaware was in the early 50s, and that it wasn't that uncommon a punishment prior to that. But apparently the aim of the punishment was humiliation, rather than severe pain, so the floggings weren't that heavy, eg only left light marks on the back, even after say 30 or 40 lashes. Kinda like the modern day Islamic public floggings (the flogger has to hold a Koran under his arm), rather than the savage Singapore style beatings.

Prison floggings in southern US continued well into the 20th Century, often well after the punishment was offically outlawed. Not surprisingly, black prisoners were much more likely to be whipped than white prisoners.

Straha

Banned
tom said:
Sounds like something out of Heinlein.
why yes it is! Before I posted this thread I read starship troopers and though.. "hmm.. very interesting stuff here..."

Straha said:
why yes it is! Before I posted this thread I read starship troopers and though.. "hmm.. very interesting stuff here..."

What's scary is that a lot of it really makes more sense than it ought to, even 50 years after it was written.

zoomar said:
What's scary is that a lot of it really makes more sense than it ought to, even 50 years after it was written.
Funny, isn't it?
Granddaddy Robert had some very acue (and nasty) insights

Straha

Banned
LordKalvan said:
Funny, isn't it?
Granddaddy Robert had some very acue (and nasty) insights
yep Heinlein's ideas could work very well for the society in question if they are applied to some degree. Replacing prison time with corporal punishments for some crimes world be an effective deterrent.

Straha said:
yep Heinlein's ideas could work very well for the society in question if they are applied to some degree. Replacing prison time with corporal punishments for some crimes world be an effective deterrent.
The basis for punishment should be to maximise the learning curve (breaking the rules does not pay). So you could make a case that public flogging, uniting the pain incentive and the public humiliation, would be optimal.
It would have to be a completely different society, however. The politically correct people and assorted bleeding hearts would strenually oppose such measures.

Straha

Banned
LordKalvan said:
The basis for punishment should be to maximise the learning curve (breaking the rules does not pay). So you could make a case that public flogging, uniting the pain incentive and the public humiliation, would be optimal.
It would have to be a completely different society, however. The politically correct people and assorted bleeding hearts would strenually oppose such measures.
I'm thinking of an ideologically libertarian america....

Grey Wolf

Donor
LordKalvan said:

LOL, so apart from political correctness and 'bleeding heart liberals' public flogging would be acceptable in a modern society ? Funny man

Grey Wolf

Straha

Banned
Grey Wolf said:
LOL, so apart from political correctness and 'bleeding heart liberals' public flogging would be acceptable in a modern society ? Funny man

Grey Wolf
I might be goldwaterite(not reaganite or bushite) conservative with a big libertarian streak but I think public floggings are mroe effective than prison time for most offenses.

Straha said:
I might be goldwaterite(not reaganite or bushite) conservative with a big libertarian streak but I think public floggings are mroe effective than prison time for most offenses.

I do quite agree. Also in re-habilitation sense.