Third Babylonian Empire

The first being Hammurabi's and the second Nebuchadnezzar's. Any ideas for another rise of Babylon beyond OTL? Here's my rough attempt:

333 BC- Darius is delayed somehow and the Battle of Issus is avoided. Alexander and his army push deeper into Syria than OTL, heading for the Persian navy's base at Tyre.

332 BC- Darius and his army reach northern Syria early in the year and cut off Alexander's supply lines. Meanwhile, the Persian navy successfully foments rebellion in Greece and lands troops to help the rebels. Word of these two disasters reach Alexander and, desperate, he marches his army back north to face Darius. This battle is much harder for Alexander than OTL's Issus and several of his friends get killed in the process of his completely defeating Darius. A detachment resumes the siege of Tyre while Alexander himself captures Damascus then heads back to Greece to crush the rebellion. Darius flees across the Euphrates to lick his wounds and form another army.

331 BC- Alexander crushes the rebellion in Greece and is forced to treat a city or two as he did Thebes. Tyre also falls and Alexander marches back east and marches on into Egypt and is crowned Pharoah as in OTL. Alexander is much angrier with the Persians than OTL and has no desire whatsoever of accomadating them in his quest to become master of Asia. Alexandria founded.

330-325 BC- Alexander's army continues it's march of conquest, Alexander going along with the spirit of the Greeks in their 'war of vengeance' against Persia. Persepolis is razed with nothing accidental about it as said in OTL. Persia is ravaged and many satraps are outright killed as the army completes a march roughly similar to OTL. Rebellions by Persians and other subject peoples are dealt with successfully and harshly and many of the canals in Persia proper, or modern day Iran, are destroyed. Alexander reaches the Indus before turning back as in OTL, but dies while en route with his army back to Mesopotamia.

324 BC to mid 3rd century BC- The Diadochi happen similar to OTL. With Persia ravaged and not nearly as influential as OTL, Seleucus or his ATL equivalent centers his rule in Mesopotamia as in OTL but instead sets his capital as Babylon instead of founding a new capital. Babylon's great monuments are repaired, such as it's walls, the palace, the Ishtar Gate and the Hanging Gardens, and it experiences a revival as the main trade center between the West and East.

Late 3rd century BC to 3rd century AD- The Parthians conquer the Diadochi kingdom that rules Mesopotamia, ravaging Persia even further and making it a backwater in the process. They decide to also set up prosperous Babylon as their capital and decide to follow Greek culture at first but, with Persian influence much reduced in the ATL, Babylonian culture becomes more influential as times goes on. Parthia wars with Rome as in OTL and it's power drains over time. In the 3rd century AD, the sub-king of Babylonia revolts and revives the Babylonian Empire, it's military based on the Parthians by using mounted archers and cataphracts with bows and lances but Roman-style mail shirts, like the Sassanids of OTL. A monotheistic-style religion based around the old god Marduk, patron god of Babylon, is established and promoted to bring about unity in the empire. All of Mesopotamia is conquered as well as Persia, the backward Persians subordinate to the 'Babylonians'.

How's this?

Straha

Banned
:eek: a secret conspiracy by babylonian bankers trying to prepare us for the return of babylon and the apocalypse</crazy paranoid wierdo>

you know that DOES strike me :eek: :eek: :eek:

After seeing all these newer threads about revived or surviving Egyptians, Hittites, Minoans, etc, and the historical discussions and/or good TLs that followed, I looked back on this thread I started back when the new board was... er, new and found this:

Grey Wolf said:
It struck anyone how close Babylonian is to Baby Lotion ?

Grey Wolf

:rolleyes:

Any thoughts on the rough timeline or other ideas?

It's Promising, just needs a few bugs to work out., and also I'm not to sure about bring back the Marduk, but pretty good. You should give it some time then go with it.

Leo Caesius

Banned
Here are some references on the aboriginal inhabitants of Babylon and their religion:

The Mandaeans: Ancient Texts and Modern People by Jorunn J. Buckley

The Mandaeans of Iraq and Iran Their Cults, Customs, Magic Legends, and Folklore: Their Cults, Customs, Magic Legends, and Folklore by Ethel Stefana Drower

The Mandaeans are the last surviving gnostics, a monotheistic sect of baptists, living predominantly in the marshes of Southern Iraq (Babylon/Mesene) and the foothills of Khuzestan in Iran (Elymais). They preserve the only surviving dialect of late Babylonian Aramaic, which is attested in the Aramaic portions of the Babylonian Talmud, and the incantation inscriptions found in Southern Iraq (charms, wards, terracotta demon traps). Both of these languages are so close to Mandaic as to be identical for all intents and purposes. Their mythology (which is extremely rich) is an interesting blend of Christian, Jewish, Zoroastrian, and Babylonian elements. In particular, the Mandaeans are known as consummate astrologers, and the names of all the malign beings and demons inhabiting the other planets of the solar system and the outer reaches of space are borrowed from earlier Mesopotamian traditions.

Occasionally the Mandaeans invoke these beings. I recently read a story in J. Petermann's Reisen im Orient about a Mandaean priest who was being persecuted by the Muslims. He called upon Shamesh (the Sun god) to strike down his neighbor. Shamesh obliged, but because the Mandaean had called upon him at the wrong time of day, he also branded the Mandaean with the sign of a dog.

As far as I can tell, the Mandaeans arose under the influence of the Parthians (their script is derived from the Parthian chancery script, and shares its orthography) so the inhabitants of a Neo-Babylonian state arising in Mesene during the time of the Parthians would no doubt be more akin to the Mandaeans than the worshippers of Marduk.

With the advent of Islam, Mandaeans became a persecuted minority, and it's a marvel that any survive today.

A monotheistic-style religion based around the old god Marduk, patron god of Babylon

Since Your new Babylon is inbetween the two-
Perhaps better would be the Greek influence merging with the Precussor of Zoroastrism [Persia], Causing Apollo the Sun God to assume the top spot.

It is interesting, but I think all you would really need to start it would be for Seleucus or whomever to decide to keep the capital in Babylon, rather then build a new one.

Hermanubis said:
It is interesting, but I think all you would really need to start it would be for Seleucus or whomever to decide to keep the capital in Babylon, rather then build a new one.
But there's the cultural influence later on. The Persians were the dominant influence in the region so they had to be minimized so that Babylon would rise again instead of Persia.

GBW said:
But there's the cultural influence later on. The Persians were the dominant influence in the region so they had to be minimized so that Babylon would rise again instead of Persia.
Well, I guess. I was just thinking along the lines of my thread(Ie; Babylon just survives as a major City)