Utopic? Dystopic?

Faeelin

Banned
Okay, here's the setup.

You arrive in an ATL in 2004. The world was basically unified by 1900; much of it by 1840.

There's one dominant language, but others are tolerated. Nationalism in a way we'd recognize it doesn't exist, but there are terrorists and rebels, who mainly want the whole world rather than a new nation.

Except in backward places like the mideast or russia, religion doesn't matter. The government is a decentralized constitutional monarchy, tech is at OTL levels. Racism exists to a degree, about like OTL's america.

Would you live here?

I might, but I need to know more. Do you have an actual POD in mind and what is it? What do you mean by a "decentralized constitutional monarchy"? Are the "backward" places like Russia and the mideast part of the world state or outside it. What do you mean by "backward" anyway? Is religion in the advanced areas tolerated and respected or laughed at and ignored? You say the "terrorists" are after the whole world, not just national parts of it. Does that mean a major revolutionary movement is threatening this system? And most important, is the one language French (shudder)?

Based on what I can gather, I'd have other preferences but it probably beats what we live in today in most ways.

Faeelin

Banned
zoomar said:
I might, but I need to know more. Do you have an actual POD in mind and what is it? What do you mean by a "decentralized constitutional monarchy"? Are the "backward" places like Russia and the mideast part of the world state or outside it. What do you mean by "backward" anyway? Is religion in the advanced areas tolerated and respected or laughed at and ignored? You say the "terrorists" are after the whole world, not just national parts of it. Does that mean a major revolutionary movement is threatening this system? And most important, is the one language French (shudder)?

Based on what I can gather, I'd have other preferences but it probably beats what we live in today in most ways.

There are in theory various states; the kingdom of Rio De La Plata, the duchy of california, etc. In pratice, they're all in one empire, with one currency, army, etc. Monarchs are viewed as necessary to keep polygot humanity together, but have little real power.

All places are in the system, some less so. Backwards in the way that afghanistan is backwards.

Religiomn is tolerated, but in much of the world its viewed he way europeans see it. Some places view it as a sign that you're not truly modern.

Terrorists aren't a major threat per se, but more like al queda if the US ran the whole world. Biggest threats are fundamentalist arabs, who still can't get over the occupation of mecca in 1875.

As to the language and POD, let's just say that things get grim for fair albion if George III's death in 1795leads to a wave of repression in britain.

Susano

Banned
No, I woudnt, but I would describe this world as utopic. Maybe too utopic... in any case, it would be a realyl foreign world for me. And since life is good in our world, too, Id return to here, heh.

I'd go. I'm pretty sure there's all kinds of stuff wrong in this world, but anywhere I don't have anyone tell me that *this* is my flag and *that* ought to be my God because I was born *there* suits me just fine.

Plus, you wouldn't have to remember currency excchange rates, and never again find that a truly fascinating book on exactly the subject you want was printed in Polish only

I think the culture in this world be very stagnate and boring. However I think it would have a more relaxed atmosphere.

Chris

Banned
I'd love to move there, but first I'd want to check out the place carefully. Has peace come at the cost of brition being nuked, for example.

Chris