AH Societal Challenge

How do we go about creating a society that almost absolutely scorns the concept of heredity? Not in the biological sense, of course. But in the sense of wealth, property, honor, nobility, etc. Basicly, the exact opposite of the caste structure of India.

What measures and traditions would such a society develop? From what society/societies could it most likely develop? How might this society fare?

I would think that such a society might do away with the concept of family altogether, and raise children in a barracks-like situation, not unlike ancient Sparta. If there are families, children would likely be forbidden from inhereting anything from their parents (aside from, possibly some sentimental items or enough to get by), with the wealth going to perhaps the state, or charity. This society would likely be either very individualistic (and hedonistic, as you would give no thought to saving any of your wealth for your children), or very community oriented, as there would be less reason to hoard wealth.

Maybe Rome. They had the adoptive emperors (in the 2nd century, and in Diocletian's tetrarchy system, relatives couldn't become new emperors. Constantine became, though.), maybe other Romans could have started to do it like the emperor: You appoint someone as your heir who's not your relative.

In Gurps AE2 the world of Centrum is depicted. Seemed to me that they would qualify, since they are a meritocracy...

Max Sinister said:
Maybe Rome. They had the adoptive emperors (in the 2nd century, and in Diocletian's tetrarchy system, relatives couldn't become new emperors. Constantine became, though.), maybe other Romans could have started to do it like the emperor: You appoint someone as your heir who's not your relative.

In Gurps AE2 the world of Centrum is depicted. Seemed to me that they would qualify, since they are a meritocracy...

Rome? Family-centered Rome? I think the original question goes far deeper than how political leadership is transferred. I basically agree with DominusNovus that it would take a social system where family structures were entirely superceded by some alternate way of organizing society. Other than the "Spartan" approach, maybe the only way the family might still retain some organizational importance is if genetic ("blood") affiliation between parents and children was not recognized - perhaps a strong religious code declaring the parents' were only stewards of children (who until the age of majority "belong" to God).
There is increasing potential for such societies to develop in the modern world, what with additional technological means to "produce" children without normative sexual procreation (Brave New World).

Basically, I take the sociobiologoical side and suspect the concept of inheritance through biological lines is genetically ingrained in humans - and will exist as long as genitors perceive it to be in the selective advantage of their offspring.