Stonewall Jackson: Union General

Many people have considered the effect of what would have happened if Robert E. Lee had taken up Lincoln's offer to command the Union army. But what if Stonewall Jackson had decided to side with his nation instead of Virginia? He may not get the nickname Stonewall at First Manassas, but if his military record in the Civil War is any indication, Jackson would have been an incredible asset to the Union.

Let's say that Jackson remains with United States Army. I think he would have distinguished himself early on. But where he could have really done some damage is if it was General Thomas J. Jackson in command of the Peninsular Campaign rathern that General George B. McClellan. He definitely would not have taken as long as McClellan did and if he Shenadoan Campaign is any indication, I don't think anyone could have stopped Jackson from taking Richmond, not even Robert E. Lee.

This is just an idea I'm pitching that's open to discussion.

Ace Venom said:
Many people have considered the effect of what would have happened if Robert E. Lee had taken up Lincoln's offer to command the Union army. But what if Stonewall Jackson had decided to side with his nation instead of Virginia? He may not get the nickname Stonewall at First Manassas, but if his military record in the Civil War is any indication, Jackson would have been an incredible asset to the Union.

Let's say that Jackson remains with United States Army. I think he would have distinguished himself early on. But where he could have really done some damage is if it was General Thomas J. Jackson in command of the Peninsular Campaign rathern that General George B. McClellan. He definitely would not have taken as long as McClellan did and if he Shenadoan Campaign is any indication, I don't think anyone could have stopped Jackson from taking Richmond, not even Robert E. Lee.

This is just an idea I'm pitching that's open to discussion.

Well, I agree with you. The idea of "Jackson's Foot Cavalry" being dressed in Union blue instead of Confederate Gray quite frankly gives me, as a confirmed Confederophile, the shivers. I personally think that Jackson was a better general than Robert E. Lee. If Lee going Union would have been a disaster for the South, as I think it would have been, then Jackson doing so would be an even greater catastrophe.

Xen

Banned
robertp6165 said:
Well, I agree with you. The idea of "Jackson's Foot Cavalry" being dressed in Union blue instead of Confederate Gray quite frankly gives me, as a confirmed Confederophile, the shivers. I personally think that Jackson was a better general than Robert E. Lee. If Lee going Union would have been a disaster for the South, as I think it would have been, then Jackson doing so would be an even greater catastrophe.

As a Unionphile I like the idea of Virginia remaining Union and the likes of Jeb Stuart, Robert E Lee and Stonewall Jackson serving in Union blue. Quick war with a Union victory, and easy reconstruction in the south.

Xen said:
As a Unionphile I like the idea of Virginia remaining Union and the likes of Jeb Stuart, Robert E Lee and Stonewall Jackson serving in Union blue. Quick war with a Union victory, and easy reconstruction in the south.

Well, if all those guys had gone Union, it certainly would have been a quick Union victory, no doubt about it.

'every drop drawn with the lash'

I would definitely disagree. The civil war lasted just long enough. Any shorter and the Union would have tried to somehow get the South to pay off it's prewar debts to the North and that could only have been done by reenslaving the blacks. Maybe one of those gradual emancipation deals where the slaves were 'freed' at age 65, so the plantation owners didn't have to worry about taking care of the older slaves.
Not that they did much of that.