1980: Team USA looses to the USSR in hockey

Watched Miracle over the weekend. Normally I cant stand sports. When I think sporting events I think of not getting to see my favorite TV shows due to preemption. But the activities surrounding the 1980 US Olympic hockey team is an exception. I get choked up every time I think about those kids going up against the best hockey team in the world and handing them their asses.

But what if they didnt win or didnt even get to the semi-finals? There was more good news coming in the future not linked to the hockey team. There was the 1980 election of the greatest American president ever ;) , the 1981 space shuttle launch, the US military showing it could win battles in Greanda (1983) etc. But would things be much different?

The Miracle on Ice probally lifted the American spirit, that only was accomlpised after the shock of 9/11 wore off. There were several times when the Soviets almost could of won, but didn't. The US Team, by the Olympics, was probally one of the most conditioned teams there, only the Soviets were better.