Age of Female Consent Stays At 12

Nonny

Banned
Until 1923 it was still legal in the UK for a man to marry a girl who was 12. The age of consent in Spain is still 12. What would the West be like now if the age of consent had staid at 12? More promiscuity or less? More child pregnancies and brides or less? Would paedophilia have had to be redefined, or would it have never appeared if relations with pubescent nubiles was legal?

Isn't paerdophilia a "a person, especially a man, who is sexually interested in children"? So if the age of consent was lower then it wouldn't happen as often if at all.

NapoleonXIV

Banned
The age of consent in some US states is 13, however that doesn't seem to affect their number of teenagers marrying, promiscuity rates etc.

The legal age of consent would have limited effect if the age of minority is not changed, since a parent can still legally control an offspring's behavior during that period, yes?

It would effect pedophilia, of course, as it stands with US law legally any man over 18 who watched Britney Spear's earliest videos was a pedophile. (If he was normal ;) )The psychological profession, in fact, now draws a distinction between 'true' pedophilia and pedophilia as now legally defined.

Greater or lesser promiscuity? Less. All studies indicate that greater access to sexual knowledge, whether obtained through education or experience, leads to less promisucuity. That's why Sex Ed is so widely supported by the psychological community

Unless Britney was naked in those videos, they wouldn't qualify as pedophilia. As for the age of 12... I dunno. 12 is kind of an awkward age. Some mature pretty quickly by then, others don't. Some could psychologically handle sex at that age, others couldn't. Some states set the age of consent at 13? That seems kind of young too. Don't most states set it at 16?

Dunash

Banned
Israel's age of consent is 17. Is there anywhere where it's higher? The Biblical Rebecca was only 3 when she married Isaac, who was 40! He didn't of course have relations with her until she was 12!

i don't think any States age of consent are 13, please name them if there are..most are either 16 or 18, example Michigan is 16, Wisconsin is 18...no state in their right mind would go any lower than 16

Nonny said:
Until 1923 it was still legal in the UK for a man to marry a girl who was 12. The age of consent in Spain is still 12. What would the West be like now if the age of consent had staid at 12? More promiscuity or less? More child pregnancies and brides or less? Would paedophilia have had to be redefined, or would it have never appeared if relations with pubescent nubiles was legal?

Promiscuity isn't affected by laws. The age of consent in most states is 16 or 17, but have you noticed a decrease in promiscuity? I haven't. As for pedophilia, I believe it's defined by having sex with pre-pubescent children, which would imply an age less than 12, so it's not affected.

Xen

Banned
marl_d said:
i don't think any States age of consent are 13, please name them if there are..most are either 16 or 18, example Michigan is 16, Wisconsin is 18...no state in their right mind would go any lower than 16

I never knew of a state that had it as low as 13 for many years now. I know about 20+ years ago Arkansas was 14, but it was changed I think in the 1970s. Though according to this chart South Carolina and Iowa either have recently changed it from or are going to change it to the age of 14.

http://www.ageofconsent.com/ageofconsent.htm

Xen

Banned
LOL it looks like someone beat me to the chart, though that post wasnt there when I hit reply

Actual story

This is kind of funny, so I'll pass it on. It was an actual case I learned in law school when I was taking a family law course.

There was a teacher in Pennsylvania (I think it was in the late seventies or early eighties), who began to have an affair with one of his seriously underage students.

The mother tried to keep them apart, but nothing worked, so charges were about to be filed, and then (as everybody knows) kiss that teacher goodbye.

But the teacher had a lawyer who not only read the law, but understood it. It seems that Pennsylvania during its frontier days had a relatively relaxed standard about the age a girl would have to be to enter into a common law marriage, and the marriage did not have to be approved or sanctioned by the girl's parents.

As a result, the teacher had the girl come over,and in front of witnesses, they staged a common law marriage ceremony.

When the prosecutor tried to bring charhes, the judge threw them out, essentially stating that the law was n the books, and that was that. Although the law has since been changed, the age necessary for a common law marriage in Pennsylania at that time was 7!

You would basically have to get rid of the events( ie Industrial Revolution) that changed the social defintion of children by increasing the age of what is considered a child. 12 was nearly middle aged trough much of human history but when living standards and life expectancy increased the age of what was considered a child increased as well. People from the 16th and 17th century West would undoubedtly be shocked that people live with thier parents until to 18 and in many cases well into their 20's as are many in 3rd world countries today.

--But would you guys be able to finally get lucky?---

Hey your not talking to me here.Personally I think an extended childhood is a good thing in the modern world. I just dont think its something, like monogamy, that is completely biologically hard-wired for humans to except. Its just a very powerful social taboo and one that American society is very hypocritical about as it routinely both (correctly) condems child predators while at the same time sexualizes images of children.

Nonny said:

I've seen a photograph of a London girl from the late nineteenth century, labeled "ten years old" and "prostitute". She was VERY pregnant. So the question is, if 12 is legal, why risk going for 10? Not to mention the risks to that poor kid. The yet-unborn-baby was nearly as big as the mother.

Grimm Reaper said:
But would you guys be able to finally get lucky?

I reject the whole concept of an "age of consent". I believe in marriage - making a commitment - before sex. AND with consent of all living parents even if the groom and bride are legally adults.

I believe Japan's age of consent was about 12 or 13 until quite recently (the 90s).
I think the age of consent rising was a natural thing with people living longer and not needing to have children as quickly, if it had remained at 12 I don't think there would be much difference except for less freaks classed as paedophiles.

Well in most Islamic countries or countries where the Shariat law is in force..the legal age for a woman to marry is puberty or if she has no outward signs of puberty the age of 15.

Spain is a bit more complex than "the age of consent is 12"

It is legal for a 12 year old or anyone 12-18 to have intercourse with anyone between the ages of 12-18. It is illegal for an 18 year old to have intercourse with anyone between the ages of 12-18. Between the ages of 16-18, there is a grey area with those just over 18 and those just under but essentially that's Spanish law.

What would the west be like then therefore?

I don't think it would make too much difference - unless Governments decided to put more into sex education, contraception etc. Britain has the highest rate of teenage pregnancies and one of the lowest rates of sex education in schools whereas the Netherlands is the opposite.

There might have been moves to raise the age of consent to something a little more sensible like 14 or 15 - and I know there are people on the board who will seize upon that remark and tear me to bits for it. I would like to think that a lower age of consent would lead to more awareness in terms of sex education so that teenagers can act a little more responsibly. A poll by BBC News online found that 10% of British teenagers think Cling Film and an elastic band will provide an effective form of contraception.

I think marriage for 12 year olds might only affect a handful of people, if that but conservative governments across Europe would put a number of pre-requisites on them first.

Not an earth shattering change of events but would hopefully produce a more relaxed attitude to sex.