Useful lesson from military tactics, applied to the real world (slightly OT)

For many years, I’ve read of the tactics of warfare, such folks as Washington, Rommel, Halsey, and fictitious ones like Honor Harrington and Von Letters. I have never put them to use anywhere but the gaming table and history lessons—and of course, discussing and creating A/H. Now I’ve gained some new insights into certain basic principles. A couple of years ago, I started learning to box, and slowly came to realize how many of the tactical principles are the same as naval or ground tactics. It took reality, rather than reading Sun Tzu or Clauswitz to drive the point home. The principles are the same, and the moment I realized that, my performance in the ring improved greatly. At first , I’d been much like Jelicoe—very concerned with force preservation and taking minimal chances. I started following strategies like those of Nelson, Halsey, and Von Letters—taking risks to accomplish my goals. I get hit with more punches now, but I connect with even more. Overall, paying attention to military strategy and tactics has made me significantly more successful in the ring. Granted, the other day I felt like Von Der Tann faced with Warspite, but the principles still apply. Perhaps the similarities are glaringly obvious to some, but they escaped me for some time. Have others on the board noticed good application of military knowledge to the real world?

I have applied nuclear war strategies (deterrent, counter-force vs. counter value targets, recessed deterrent posture, etc) to most any sort of relationship problem. It's how I give advice to friends;

"I suggest a no-first-use of personal attacks, focus on counter-force objectives...uuh, attack her reasoning. Not counter-value objectives. that would be attacking her."

Although not military per se, cold war crisis management has helped me through many a fight with my girlfriend.

Grey Wolf

Donor
I suppose in work I have often looked up at the oppressor and seen that they do NOT know Machiavelli whereas I do - 'annihilate or conciliate'. A failure to do the first and an unwillingness to contemplate the second often means that they are on shaky ground for what they are trying to make me do/accept, and that I can fight it and win...

I'm unemployed at the moment, hahaha !

Grey Wolf