Survival of the USSR

Would it have been possible for an alliance between the USA and USSR to come about at some point, preferably after the Cuban Missile Crisis. Is it possible that the USSR could still exist today?

I seriously doubt it. Frankly I do not seen what might ally the two countries before a Gorbatschow-style leader takes over the USSR. No other country at that time, or even a couple of them could threaten both countries so much that they would ally themselves like during WW2.
An alliance between the US and the USSR would have to be a alliance of equals-no side would have it any other way. I was in the USSR in 1990 with the help convoys and the country was realy in a shambles. They deceidedly couldn`t keep their infrastructure working (and I was afraid of having an accident-I saw the hospitals up close) Their industry wasn`t anything to brag about and even with the Ukraine still a part of their country they could not feed themselves. Quite clearly they were unable to keep up the strong military that was respected (and/or feared) by the West so much. Without that they were in no poisition as a viable partner to the US.
Now, if France and Germany would have allied themselves in the way DeGaulle wanted it, and invited China into their alliance.... but that is ASB material

These are 2 different PODS. US Alliance with Soviet Union requires other enemy.

Candidates for other enemy are China and Islamic Fundamentalism