Cotton Gin invented in 1820

What if the Cotton Gin was invented over 20 years later then in OTL? What effect would it have on slavery, the south and in northen textile mills?

I suspect that in the 'deep south' there would not be many differences, but on the edges there would be significant differences with slavery. (I know that other people were working ont he invention, but the POD is no cotton gin until 1820 - see historical info below).

Given the labor intensity, there is a strong possibility that the states in which the economics of slavery were marginal, slavery wouldn't have expanded.

For example, Texas didn't grow many of the other crops that were economically appropriate for slavery, so even if Texas becomes part of the Union, it might not become a slave state. Additionally, without territories becoming slave states, would the deep south have voted for the entry of new states? Chances are they wouldn't have wanted all the new states, (in an attempt to maintain their power) and as a result there would have been a very strong South West split.

The invention of the cotton gin caused a revolution in the production of cotton in the southern United States, and had an enormous impact on the institution of slavery in this country. Before the invention of the cotton gin, not only was the raising of cotton very labor intensive, but separating the fiber from the cotton seed itself was even more labor intensive. Only the largest plantations found raising cotton cost effective. The invention of the cotton gin and its manufacture changed that. Growing and cultivating cotton became a lucrative and less labor-intensive cash crop, contributing immensely to the rise of cotton production in the Deep South. This, in turn, led to an increase in the number of slaves and slaveholders, and to the growth of a cotton-based agricultural economy in the South.

While it cannot be stated with certainty that the invention of the cotton gin saved and sustained slavery in the United States, it certainly was a major factor in the spread of slavery into Georgia, Alabama, and Mississippi.

Xen

Banned
I think it might result in an earlier Civil War, around 1830-1840 or so. One that unless Britain comes to bat for the slave states would be lost very quickly by the Southern states. Slavery ends a good 20 years earlier, perhaps better for the country over all. Hmmmm

Xen said:
I think it might result in an earlier Civil War, around 1830-1840 or so. One that unless Britain comes to bat for the slave states would be lost very quickly by the Southern states. Slavery ends a good 20 years earlier, perhaps better for the country over all. Hmmmm

Interesting, I think the opposite. The earlier the war, and the more evenly matched the North and South, I think the more likely the South will win with the benefit of military officers. The North hasn't quite been impacted yet by the influx of immigrants from Ireland or Scandinavia yet.

Why Earlier ACW

Why do you feel that there might have been an earlier ACW?

If the issue is expansion of slavery, and there is no economic basis for the expansion, then the only reason for a ACW, would be the admission of new states.

I can actually see the western states furious with the deep south because they keep vetoing their admission as states.

David S Poepoe said:
Interesting, I think the opposite. The earlier the war, and the more evenly matched the North and South, I think the more likely the South will win with the benefit of military officers. The North hasn't quite been impacted yet by the influx of immigrants from Ireland or Scandinavia yet.

However the slave states would be quite a bit fewer in number. Texas, Georgia, Alabama and Mississippi would have far fewer if any slaves which would make the true slave states even more isolated.

Xen

Banned
Brilliantlight said:
However the slave states would be quite a bit fewer in number. Texas, Georgia, Alabama and Mississippi would have far fewer if any slaves which would make the true slave states even more isolated.

That was my thinking