Bohemia 2004

I see on a historical map of Europe that Bohemia was a significant nation in 1400. Being a Bohunk myself, is there any way it could stay an independent significant nation to this day?

Grey Wolf

Donor
tom said:
I see on a historical map of Europe that Bohemia was a significant nation in 1400. Being a Bohunk myself, is there any way it could stay an independent significant nation to this day?

Well, I don't know about STILL independent but there are a load of 1848 and afterwards scenarios for it to become independent under that name in some sort of break up of the Austrian Empire, perhaps with a federalist interlude

Grey Wolf

If Bohemia either a) did not fall to the Habsburg family after the end of the native dynasty or b) successfully defends its independence as a Protestant nation in the White Mountain campaign of 1618-20, the country could have remained a (minor, but not negligible) East European kingdom governed by a powerful oligarchically structured aristocracy, the 'Estates General of Bohemia'. Taking it from there, I would assume the country to stay a minor player in big politics (between Austria, Saxony, Prussia, Sweden, Poland and Russia at the respective times, and possibly the Ottomans as well). Bohemia without a violen counterreformation would probably be vehemently Protestant, enamored of its Hussite tradition, and rather paranoid about Austria. A natural ally for Prussia (provided there is a Prussia) and Sweden (provided there is a Vasa empire). Also, with its own residence and strong cultural ties to central Germanmy (unless the THirty Years' War happens anyway), the country will likely be a full part of the WEstern intellectual and technological civilisation. Add into that a wealth of natural resources, waterpower, and skilled labour and Bohemia could emerge as an industrial powerhouse in the 19th century. But when the world wars start you're on your own...

tom said:
Well the Wikipedia article on Bohemia says
Wikipedia said:
Note: In the Czech language, there is no distinction between the adjectives Bohemian and Czech (český).

So in a way, it is…

Bright day
This is quite vile necromancy.
I was bit puzzled too, but Bohemia lost its independance for almost 400 hundred years and is quite insignificant.

May this thread rest in peace...

Any thoughts on how Bohemia would develop if it was not a part of the Hapsburg lands? Would Bohemia actually end up being more Germanised if they had remained independent but a part of the Holy Roman Empire? Also, as I recall the King of Bohemia is one of the HRE electors, so that could certainly change a few of the elections, perhaps the Hapsburgs do not manage to maintain their firm grip on the Imperial throne with another protestant elector voting. Maybe that even shifts the balance enough to result in a protestant Emperor at some point, which could certainly be interesting. Maybe we even end up seeing Bohemia become the leading protestant power in Germany in place of OTLs Prussia?

Bohemia could certainly develop to be a major industrial power, especially if it manages to hold onto Silesia. At the least they certainly have quite large deposits of coal and iron, which could give them a strong steel industry.