Spanish flu after World War II

Let's assume that a flu similar to the Spanish flu, which occurred after World War I, returned after the end of World War II. Before it is all over, one in ten of the world's population is dead.

Effects on the Cold War and the rest of the 20th century, anyone?

If the Soviet Union suffered that one in ten dead ratio then there might not be a Cold War. Considering the state of chaos Russia was in during the years after the end of WW2 then a major epidemic on top of it all may have caused the country to disintergrate.

Just saw this one.

What was the population of the world at that time? 2 billion or so? So along with the 60 or so million we get another 200 million dead. I don't think those deaths would be shared equally around the world. War-torn Europe, especially Germany and Eastern Europe into Russia would be hit very hard. The lack of resources to treat such a virulent strain of the flu as well as the other diseases that may be happening would make the epidemic truly catastrophic. Japan and parts of China I think would also be hit very hard. The US might be hit hard, but given the level of organization at that time, the relative lack of destruction fromt he war, and an overall healther population than Europe at the time, will get off a bit easier than the rest of the world. For example, of the 40 million that died from the Spanish Flu at the end of WW1, only 675,00 were Americans. The number wouldn't be as low due to a much more mobile population than in the end of WW1,

Where History goes will depend upon who happens to die. If Stalin, Mao, Ho Chi Minh, Ghandi, Truman, MacArthur etc.. happen to catch the flue and die, then the late 40's and early 50's could be very different.

One of the things I can see it doing, since scientist will find out very quickly that the new anti-biotics won't work on viruses, there may be an even stronger push to find medicines and techniques to battle disease than there was in out time line.

Torqumada

Proper diet?

With America being nearly uneffected at home in terms of availability of foods.
Although they were rationed. People in the U.S. were in much better overall physical shape after the war. In the war torn areas of Europe death rates would probally sky rocket as much of the populace is already in a horrible state even Britain would suffer heavily. I remember watching a story on the first Olympics after the war ??in London?? and hearing one of the american athletes comment on having milk when most of the Europeans had hardly any.
So I think disease would spread even more. Maybe a 13 -15% death rate in Europe and higher through Germany and Eastern Europe. And maybe 20% in Asia.