AH Challenge: Kill these social institutions

Straha

Banned
Construct ATL scenarios, going back in time if needed, to allow for the death of the following social institutions, at least in any form recognizable today:

1)American public school system

my ideas: (1) + (2) need a realigment of US politics such that the Ventura wing of the Reform Party plus the Libertarians plus some of the lifestyle Democrats plus the small government suburban Republicans all discover that while they hate each other, they hate the idea of anyone telling them what to do worse. Net effect will be:
a. Emancipation of minors by their choice and a minimal court order
b. Reducing the age of consent / work to like 10-12 with said emancipation
plus proof of adulthood - say learning the constitution on a multichoice
test plus the ability to do long division manually
c. Schooling will become a lifelong right rather than lockstep at a certain
age to keep you off the job market - more teens getting jobs - more twenties
and older going back to school to get a chance at decent jobs - makes
voucher the way to go.

2)Compulsory education laws

3)the 'traffic ticket'

4)state prisons

5)American prohibition of polygamy

my ideas: Is already an effectively dead letter. I know people who Knew Mormons who kept multiple wives back in Berkely - Oakland in the early 70's. Knew rascist and other ultraright types who did so since. Just passed themselves off as garden variety degenerates to the straights. No one cares anymore. Thelegal part will come when gay marriage finally busts wide open the whole intersection of marriage as a civil law issue and marriage as a sacrament. Expect some people to try ot marry their pets. There is already a major Gibson cyberpunk trilogy that includes marriage to an artificial intelligence pop star as a running plot line. They will change the words to civic partnership or some such but it will basically be anything goes.

6)the Federal Reserve System

7)illegal narcotics laws

my ideas: This one is generational. Another 20 years and this one will go the way of prohibition. Basically the boomers will switch their votes when they become more worried about pain mecidine for themselves as they age rather than their kids having a bit of fun.

8)the IRS

9)draft registration

10)television/radio censorship

11)the National Football League

12)Major League Baseball

13)Rap/hip hop music

14)private ownership of/ manufacture of firearms

my ideas: Coming within the next ten years unless there is a change in OTL. the combination of media - insurance companies - public injury bar - Democratic Party will railroad the 2nd ammendment into extinction across most of the US. Isolated rural enclaves may cling to their guns but expect private ownership to be taxed and regulated out of existance. Target shooting will be limited to guns stored under lock and key at regulated ranges. Hunting will basically be abolished. Private collections will be taxed out of existance or seized.

fit as many of these into a single ATL as you can

dang, I hope you're wrong about that last one. As someone who hunted a lot in his youth, I'd hate to see it disappear. I own 3 replica black powder guns (being muzzleloaders, they aren't a threat to anyone, since you can't keep them loaded all the time), and taking them away from me (or taxing them out of existence) would be totally unreasonable.

Grey Wolf

Donor
I would think it would have to be something very WEIRD to leave the USA as the only liberal democracy in the entire world without a proper system of state schools. I assume as an alternative you are looking at the ultra-libertarian idea of them being provided by charities or by local communities, reflecting their so-called values ?

Grey Wolf

Leo Caesius

Banned
David Howery said:
dang, I hope you're wrong about that last one. As someone who hunted a lot in his youth, I'd hate to see it disappear. I own 3 replica black powder guns (being muzzleloaders, they aren't a threat to anyone, since you can't keep them loaded all the time), and taking them away from me (or taxing them out of existence) would be totally unreasonable.
I agree, for the same reasons. I myself own a flintlock - a real antique, which couldn't do anyone any harm - but my father's family has lots of fully functional guns. I can't see anyone taking guns away from Americans, short of a fascist takeover. However, there's little chance of that - I haven't met anyone who would support the complete elimination of the Second Amendment, and seizing civilian guns, and I live in Taxachusetts. Quite a few New England "liberals" are pro-gun; go figure. It must be the tradition of hunting in this area.