Nuclear Blast in Mecca

What would happen if some right-wing american extremists seeing what al-queada are doing and blaming all muslims for their acts, hijack a b-52 and fly it over mecca during the annual pilgramige and drop a nuke. What happens ignoring any real obvious things like it being shot down or stopped because all the security forces had a religous holiday and the ones that were nott on holiday had nothing capable of shooting down a high altitude bomber. So what are the effects of 2.5 million muslims dead and many more wounded and or dying? (figures gathered from the 5 million (what i was told by the new) that are in mecca today) Would this convince the rest of the muslims to heed osamaa bin ladens call to a jihad?

BTW i am not trying to inflame any rants or raves as i am not a troll i am merely asking a question and wondering what you people consider the answer to be

The US would be condemned by everyone on Earth, friend or foe. There would be calls in the UN for our total nuclear disarmament, as we obviously aren't capable of handling them. The budget deficit would grow even larger as we paid over indemnities for loss of life and rebuilding. There would be calls from the entire muslim world for complete US disengagement from the middle east; if we didn't do it, our troops in Iraq/Afghanistan would come under increasingly heavy attacks as even the moderates joined in against us. Even if the US pulled every overseas soldier back to the homeland and retreated into complete isolationism, the damage is already done; muslim fanaticism would grow by leaps and bounds, and they would strike at us every chance they get. It wouldn't matter if we could prove beyond a doubt that it was a rogue act by extremists... everyone else in the world (and a lot of people here) would think that the government connived at it somehow. Basically, the US would be a pariah nation.....

This is something out of a script for a really bad action adventure movie. The premise has no relationship to reality.

Tom_B said:
This is something out of a script for a really bad action adventure movie. The premise has no relationship to reality.

Why not, Tom? We seem to be constantly worried (presumably with some reason) about a group of people living in caves in Afghanistan or Pakistan getting ahold of nukes (or making one) - I see no logical reason that a possibly much better placed group of extremists in the US couldn't do this just as easily. Whether or not the bomb was actualy dropped by a "hijacked" B-52 or a stolen learjet probably wouldn't change the Muslim world's reaction significantly if it was known the perpetrators were anti-Muslim US citizens.

IF this happened, the US would certainly lose all credibility in the Arab/Muslim World and Americans would not be safe anywhere. Probbaly many Muslim states would break relations with the USA and, to the extent they themselves were not targets of Al Queda and like-minded groups, they would throw all support behind them in their anti-US campaign. Any remaining pro-American regimes in the Muslim world would quickly be overthrown. The US would be forced to abandon all operations in Afghanistan and Iraq. The survival of Israel might get iffy.

However, I do not agree with David's assertion the USA would be automatically condemned by every nation on the earth, or become a pariah state. A lot would depend on how the US govt reacted. Presuming the US adopted a suitably apologetic tone, undertook thru the UN a massive restitution program, cooperated fully with the inevitable UN investigations, and took suitable action against anyone in official authority who could have prevented this, many western and Asian nations would be willing to accept this was just a horrible act of terrorism, in which the USA was also a victim, although of course not to the level of the people in Mecca. One does not easily turn the world's largest economy and military superpower into a pariah.

The idea that this could be the catalyst for total nuclear disarmament - not just of the US but of all nuclear states - is intriguing. If faced with demands for unilateral disarmament, the US might just point out this proves everybody's nuclear arsenals are unsafe and offer to participate in a total program.

I'm with Tom B on this one, but if it happened, the US would be in serious trouble - that a nuke could be hijacked would be an indication that we are not capable of handling nuclear forces, and this ultimate terro act would almost certainly lead to the end of US hegemony.

Similar but from natural causes :: a really bad new disease gets loose among the Hajjis at Hajj-time and they all take it home and spread it.

What's scarier is that it would probibly be easier to hi-jack a Backfire bomer from Russia, or the Ukraine, with a nuke payload.

What's scarier is that it would probibly be easier to hi-jack a Backfire bomer from Russia, or the Ukraine, with a nuke payload.

The complete annihilation of Jerusalem would have MAJOR biblical ramifications for Jews and Christians. I'm no biblical scholar but I believe there is something in Revelations which indicates certain events which are suppose to occur in Jerusalem just before the end of the world. If Jerusalem doesn't exist any more ....

wakie said:
The complete annihilation of Jerusalem would have MAJOR biblical ramifications for Jews and Christians. I'm no biblical scholar but I believe there is something in Revelations which indicates certain events which are suppose to occur in Jerusalem just before the end of the world. If Jerusalem doesn't exist any more ....
And what about Muslims? Jerusalem is the 3rd most holy city, isn't it?

To make things more interesting, what if the Mecca bombing was done by an unkown party, not connected to the US?

--Could we have one in Vatican City and Jerusalem to make things more equitable? Just kidding---

PS -I didnt mean to single out only Catholic Christians but its hard to pick 1 city for Protestants.Maybe home of Pat Robertson -Virgina Beach VA? Any others?

DominusNovus said:
To make things more interesting, what if the Mecca bombing was done by an unkown party, not connected to the US?

1/2 of the world would blame US anyway. Other 1/2 would blame Israelis. :rolleyes:

Michael E Johnson said:
--Could we have one in Vatican City and Jerusalem to make things more equitable? Just kidding---

PS -I didnt mean to single out only Catholic Christians but its hard to pick 1 city for Protestants.Maybe home of Pat Robertson -Virgina Beach VA? Any others?
Istanbul, though mostly Islamic, is still the seat of the Orthodox church, is it not? As for singling one center of protestantism, its impossible, by protestantism' decentralized and disnunified nature.

Xen

Banned
Stealing a B-52 is impossible. First they have to get on an Air Force base,and the B-52s are in Louisiana and security is tight on that base. Second they have to find their way to the flightline which isnt hard. Third they have to get to a plane while not getting caught by security. I was able to go onto the flight line a few times at C-130 base and security was very sharp so I can imagine it would be worse on a base with fighters and bombers. Once on the flight line it is required to show your a flightline id showing you have permission to be there. If you do not have it visible, the Military Police will shout for you to lay down and put your hands on your head, if you refuse you WILL be greeted by a hail storm of bullets from an M-16, if you comply one security officer will search you while the other holds an assault rifle inches from your skull. You will then be carted off to the base jail and have a very bad day.

If you do manage to get to a plane you have to figure out how to fly it, if someone in the group does know how then you have the issue with the flight tower not wanting to let the plane take off without authorization. If the plane takes off anyway, it will not take long for a few F-15's and F-14's to be scrambled to make the plane land, if the plane refuses to land it will be shot down. If I remember correctly the Air Force has an F-16 base just outside of Tampa Bay so this B-52 has no chance of making it outside of the territorial United States.

Capturing a missile silo, reprogramming the ICBM and directing it against the desired target seems quite easy, in comparison...

Grey Wolf

Donor
monkey said:
What if the nutter is already a US air force B52 pilot with a co-pilot who has similar ideas.

Hunt for Red October scenario - mirror of the USSR's response

After all at which point does the aircraft do something unscheduled and obvious ? Well lets assume its flying to lets say Rumania, saying the US has built a shiny new base there.... At that point it COULD disappear only over the E Med - it wqould be relatively close to target but still obvious if it headed somewhere else.

I think in an emergency the US would rely on ANYONE able to help to bring it down, from Israel to the Saudis...

This high flying thing ? Weren't dozens of B-52's brought down in Vietnam in that rickenbacker (sp?) offensive...

Grey Wolf