Phoenician Greece

I was looking over my new Early Western Civ textbook, and it makes note of a theory that Minos, the legendary king of Knossos and the earliest Greek of note, was possibly a Phoenician king who travelled to Crete to establish his kingdom.

That got me to thinking: What if, instead of the Mycenians or Dorians, Phoenicians settled in Greece and spread their civilization there? Would the Greek Phoenicians create their own empire (like Carthage separated from the western Phoenician empire), or would they get overrun by the Persians? What would be the impact on other Greek-influenced cultres, like the Italics and Etruscans?

Well for starters, there has to be an strong enough Caananite Kingdom to establish an powerful Navy to attack Mainland Greece. An possible POD, would be that the Caananite's overrun Crete after the Thera Eruption. Or another would be before King Attarissya of Ahhiywana(Myceanean Poli) could unite the city states.

Leo Caesius

Banned
There were plenty of Phoenicians in Greece. The legendary founder of Thebes, Cadmos, reputedly came from Tyre (in fact, his name is Phoenician for "Easterner"). Herodotus refers to the earliest Greek alphabet, which is essentially an adapted version of the Phoenician alphabet, as the kadmeia grammata or "Cadmeian Writing." He's also the source of the legend that Minos was Phoenician.

He relates that the original settlers of Boeotia were the Phoenicians who came with Cadmus. According to him, the Cadmeians were expelled from Thebes by the Argives. So, for this to work, we could simply have the Phoenicians hold on to Thebes and come to dominate the peninsula from there.