Earlier Japanese Modernization

Is it possible to have something like a mid 18th Century version of the Meiji Restoration and a rapid modernaization of Japan? I find myself tickled by thoughts of the Enlightenment esp. Voltaire coming to Japan and still more by the idea of a Japanese triple decker ship of the line. If this idea is as impossible as say Axis Wins WI's please make it clear why. If on the other hand there is some possibility in this TL and you are comfortable with Japanese history feel free to Enlighten.

1600 Industrial Revolution?

Japanese steam engines? Japan didn't have good coal deposits to encourage canals or railroads. China did, but an incompetent occupying army of Manchurian horse barbarians wasn't interested.

Grey Wolf

Donor
I think you need to make Japan more outgoing rather than anyone else more Japan-looking. IIRC in the Napoleonic wars (could have been earlier) Britain tried to usurp either the Dutch or Portuguese trading concessions and got a big telling off by Japan. The technological difference is not so great that a small force can make Japan do anything they want it to. It would require an army and thats not possible in the world of the time period. The soilution seems to me to have an outward-looking Shogunate but I know fluffy rabbits about the Shoguns or what-have-you. I don't think you could postulate an attempted imperial restoration in this period as the guy would likely end up v quickly dead and his successor nice and subservient to the Shogun. So, if we can find a Shogun who would look outwards and be able to do something...how do we get there ?

Grey Wolf

Minor War

late 17's early 18's Small fleet of Merchant Ships forced to shelter in Japanese harbor from Hurricane, Foriegners incarcerated by Japanese, European naval forces land to release nationals, Shogunate loses face due to ease , Europeans defeat Japanese forces, Shogunate begins Moderazation to ensure it wouldn't be so easy next time. ?Whould this do it?