Who would you cast in a Turtledove movie

The only reason I bring this up is because my girlfriend and I just read Victorious Opposition, and she said that Billy Bob Thorton(without his new rats-tail beard) would make a perfect Jake Featherston. What do you guys think?

I used to amuse myself by working out perfect castings. What about Zelazny's AMBER books, Mel Gibson as Corwin, Rutger Hauer as Benedict, John Hurt as Random? Or suppose you could get actors at any of their ages? Imagine the late middle aged Olivier as Denethor and the younger Olivier as Faramir? But the game doesn't work with Turtledove because, frankly, his characters aren't especially memorable. As I've said before, Otto Skorzeny is simply Nathan Bedford Forrest in a different hat.

by the time of TVO, isn't Featherston in his 50's? BBT wouldn't be too old... hey, he's playing Davy Crockett in Alamo, and Crockett was in his 50's when he got killed... (I am SO looking forward to seeing that...)..
hmm.. how about Tom Sizemore as Dowling, Tom Hanks as Morrell, Jude Law as Armstrong, and Samuel L. Jackson as Driver?

The Two George's

Cary Elwes as Thomas Bushell
Helen Hunt as Kathleen Flannery
Denzil Washington as Samuel Stanley
Alan Rickman as Horace Bragg
Morgan Freeman as MLK
Charlton Heston as JFK

Some of my contributions re actors in a Turtledove movie from my very limited understanding of the WORLD WAR series thus far:

some beautiful voluptuous blonde like Kate Hudson as Anne Colleton
Bernie Mac as Cincinnattus
Michael Clarke Duncan as Scipio
Nick Nolte as Gen Custer
Tom Berenger retained from ROUGHRIDERS as Teddy Roosevelt
John Voight as Woodrow Wilson

Granted Nick Nolte as Custer would be funny to see, but I always thought Wilfred Brimley with bleach blonde hair extensios would make a good Custer.

Casting

How about Travolata as Featherstone (think slimy president in primary colors), maybe Reese Witherspoon as Anne Coleton..........Morgan Freeman as Scipo.........Martin Sheen as FDR..........Ben Afflack as Morrell.......to name a few

Need to read more Turtledove

I need to read more Turtledove to familairse myself with the major characters, but how about also Hank Azaria continuing to reprise his UPRISING role as Mordechai Anielewicz in IN THE BALANCE? If not, possibly David Schwimmer stepping into this role ? Or Natalie Portman as Flora Hamburger in THE GREAT WAR, and Mark Ruffalo (who played Pappas the Greek in WINDTALKERS) as George Enos ?

BTW, which actors'd be best to play the Race characters in IN THE BALANCE ?

I'll post a few more ideas here as they come to mind.

Morrell is the tank General(ie. Patton) so I think someone gritty should play the old Morrell(like during the end of the American Empire series). Maybe Corbin Bernsen or maybe Tom Seizmore in that role rather than the role of Dowling. As far as characters during the time of the Great War,I thought Terri Polo(from Meet the Parents) as Anne Colleton and George Clooney as Roger Kimball

without a doubt, Martin Sheen is one of the worst actors in the world and I hate him. Of course this is my personal opinion, I just wouldnt want him doing another bad performance of a guy he doesnt even look like as he did of Lee. I can never for give for that and I would hate him more for screwing up trying to be one of america's best presidents.

/end rant

Chris

Banned
For the Race, use the He-Man 2002 amination for Kobra Khan, but lose the hissing voice.

Chris

Two Georges

ljofa said:
The Two George's

Cary Elwes as Thomas Bushell
Helen Hunt as Kathleen Flannery
Denzil Washington as Samuel Stanley
Alan Rickman as Horace Bragg
Morgan Freeman as MLK
Charlton Heston as JFK
I figured that Richard Dreyfuss saw himself as Bushell as he did co-write the book. Steam powered cars and airships, the prop people would lose their minds. :cool:

More actors for AMERICAN FRONT/EMPIRE movie

Hey ppl got a few more suggestions re who could play who in any AF/AE movie/s:
Neal McDonough (Buck Compton off BAND OF BROTHERS, Officer Gordon Fletcher off MINORITY REPORT) as Sam Carsten
Ron Livingston (Lewis Nixon off BoB) as Abner Dowling
Michael Rooker (Sheriff Walker from ROSEWOOD, and guy who plays stereotypical redneck roles in other movies like JFK and MISSISSIPPI BURNING)- Jefferson Pinkard
Delroy Lindo- Cassius or alternatively Scipio
William Fichtner- Chester Martin
Bruce McGill (the judge off THE RUNAWAY JURY, and Duke off ROSEWOOD)- Luther Bliss
Edward Burns (Reiben off SAVING PRIVATE RYAN)- David Hamburger
Eric Bana or Costas Mandylor (remember him off PICKET FENCES ?) as Paul Matzarakis
Wes Studi to play 1 of the Confederate Indian scouts (possibly David Mopope (?)) on the Sequoyah front, together with possibly other native American actors like Adam Beach and/or Roger Willie from WINDTALKERS
Miranda Otto (Eowyn off LORD OF THE RINGS) as Laura Secord
Rosario Dawson (that chick who turns out to be an alien princess off MIBII) as Cornelia, the Custers' housekeeper

There'd also need to be a prominent role for a guy like Sam Elliott (CSM Basil Plumley off WE WERE SOLDIERS)- I'm not too sure which, although possibly as an alternative for Luther Bliss or as a Confederate gen ?

BTW, I think that the suggestion of Reese Witherspoon as Anne Colleton wouldn't work, since Anne in the book is a tall, beautiful blonde, and Ms Witherspoon happens to be a small petite, so I don't think she could play the part as well as a taller blonde chick.

Diamond

Banned
Melvin Loh said:
Bruce McGill (the judge off THE RUNAWAY JURY, and Duke off ROSEWOOD)- Luther Bliss

Excellent choice. He has that kind of creepy authoritarian look that would work well. Remember his turn in Wes Craven's 'People Under the Stairs'?

Diamond

Banned
OOPS

Diamond said:
Excellent choice. He has that kind of creepy authoritarian look that would work well. Remember his turn in Wes Craven's 'People Under the Stairs'?

My mistake. The guy in 'Runaway Jury' & 'Timecop' is Bruce McGill; the guy in 'People Under the Stairs' is EVERETT McGill. (Although I think Everett would make a better Bliss.)

:)

Glad you liked my choice, Diamond. I also reckon some other good actors to play prominent roles in HT movies could include Viggo Mortensen as Moss, Daniel Day-Lewis as Clarence Darrow, and Josh Hartnett as Tom Colleton. What about taking 1 of the guys from GODS & GENERALS or GETTYSBURG and having him play the part of Jeb Stuart again ? And Olivier Martinez (that French dude who was the bad guy in SWAT) as Lucien Galtier.