Suetonius Slaughtered Along With His Army

monkey

Banned
What if Boudica defeats Suetonius and his legions. We really dont get much detail on ancient battles or reliable sources that arent propaganda, even with an important ones like Hastings. So instead of how she or someone like Caractactus wins I have mainly been thinking about the consequences, lets see...

I think that if the Romans fail to conquer Britain then without the saxon shore forts I think you will get Anglo-saxon setlers on the east coast much earlier, having a culture that makes use of Long boats will give them the advantage, those who are not conquered will probably adopt alot of things from Saxon culture also. Iron age britain had quite a high population so soon the Romans in Gaul will find themselves facing a much higher population of Saxon raiders and Britons in long boats, plus the Druids seemed to hate the Romans so they have some trouble. Fist the Romans in Gaul will build lots of shore forts then the ability of the longboat to go far up river will force them to do more defence in depth, so soon the cost of defending Gaul will be greater than the profit and the romans will be pushed out of Gaul sometime in the second or third centuries.

Soon after raiders are traveling up spanish rivers and going down the Rhone into the Mediterainean. Soon the Roman empire falls apart and Medieval times start a couple of centuries early.
With less of an empire to travel round in Christianity spreads much more slowly and less far before the empire colapses vus finding themselves a minority in a more tribal society it will mostly disapear and europe will remain pagan and druidic.

It is unlikely that the exact circumstances that led to Mahamoud and Islam will arise, but something analagouse or similar might.

Most of North and Western europe is now dominated by Viking like cultures, so the larger population of Sea Farers may lead to more setlers in North America, enough to create larger, more enduring, and growing setlements eventually spreading across most of North America.

With trade spreading Domestic animals(with asosiated diseases) and metal working South, the Central American Civilisations will be much harder to defeat by the time anyone who wants to copy the Conquistdors turns up.

Vus this website might be writen in a text derived from runes instead of latin letters. But with transatlantic travel leading to more development of seafaring technology, and multiple pagan religions in europe leading to more freedom of ideas and philosophy in certain places, means the industrial age may already of bean and gone and were back to living in thatched huts.

And until science proved there religion not to be literally true they were still sacrificing humans in Central America, or perhaps they still are who knows? I have extrapolated ridiculously far into the future! :)

I think you're underestimating the Romans here, and over estimating the Anglo-saxons (and the saxons weren't even in position to invade Britain until the 3rd century, more likely is Angles and Teutons or Cimbri). Assuming Gaul gets attacked as much as you have it, having the Romans abandon it will make the Empire a bit easier to defend.

Also, the Angles and whatever their buddies are will probably not develop into a society similar to OTL's vikings, given POD. At most, both groups will be seafaring societies.

As I understand the story of Boudica (correct me if I'm worng) she and / or her daughters had been raped by the Romans, causing the emnity she brought.

If she had won, this warrior queen, maybe celtic Britain would have stayed strong, not relying on the Romans for their protection. If they stayed strong, would the boats of the saxons found a place on England's shores?