Queen Victoria II

Is there anyway, that between Queen Victoria I's death and King Edward VIII's abidication of the throne that there could be a Queen Victoria II?

Grey Wolf

Donor
Mikey said:
Is there anyway, that between Queen Victoria I's death and King Edward VIII's abidication of the throne that there could be a Queen Victoria II?

The easiest way to get a Victoria II is to prevent Queen Victoria having any more children after Victoria (born 1840, whereas Albert Edward (i.e. Edward VII) was born in 1841). This doesn't necessarily mean you have to kill Queen Victoria, she could simply have such a medically bad experience that she was incapble of conceiving again (like with Crown Prince Rudolph's wife). Thus she could live out her full span of years, ah but if she does Vicky would have died earlier... Hmmm, but one can probably get around that also. OTL Vicky married Crown Prince Frederick of Prussia - now, if she had been the SOLE heir to Britain there is NO WAY this would have happened (it would have implied the unification of Britain and Prussia....eek think Wilhelm I as King William V of Great Britain !). OTL again the back cancer that killed her is supposed to have had an element of genesis in a fall from a horse. Had she married someone else other than Frederick, she could well still be around in 1901 and thus able to succeed her mother as Queen Victoria II

Grey Wolf

Grey Wolf

Donor
Mikey said:
So if Vicky hand't married Prussian royalty, she could of become Queen Victoria II?

No no, British succession is by the oldest MALE child, so as soon as Queen Victoria had a son they would take precedence over a daughter even if older/oldest.

Therefore, you only get queens in Britain if they had no brothers - i.e. Queen Victoria was the only child of the Duke of Kent, and Queen Elizabeth II was the older of two daughters

My comment about the marriage to the Prussian Crown Prince was that the MARRIAGE wouldn't happen if Vicky had been the only child of Queen Victoria, and therefore the next queen.

Grey Wolf

What if there had been a son who died?

Grey

As one of our resident experts on the Throne of Great Britain-

What if there had been only one son, Victoria gets married to Prussia and the son dies before having children?

The Crown would usually go to the oldest surviving male. I think George, the Duke of Cambridge, may be the next likely candidate.

Grey Wolf

Donor
Norman said:
Grey

As one of our resident experts on the Throne of Great Britain-

What if there had been only one son, Victoria gets married to Prussia and the son dies before having children?

Now, there's a good question !
I think there would be a constitutional crisis. You have a curious marriage between the Queen of England and the King of Prussia, each only sovereign in their native land.

However, as Queen Victoria is going to live a long time, there's probably time to sort it out, if the next generation has two children then the parliaments can sort out one to get one throne and one the other

Britain doesnt have any tradition of barring royals from the British throne because they have married into the royal family of another country. I don't think they will remove Vicky from the succession for Cambridge's line, but like with the succession to the Duchy of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha they would skip along the descendants

Grey Wolf

Last edited:
Just to clarify the male line IS favored by Britain's Royals. If there is any boy child he gets the succession over an older sister. BUT if the only children are girls the eldest girls gets the crown. I think, for instance, that George the sixth had brothers but his daughter became Queen Elizabeth II.

I had suggested a slightly different POD. I suggested that someone persuade Victoria to feed her children herself. This has some contraceptive effect. I think it might halve her number of children. If all who managed to get born in this ALT happened to be girls....

The husband for such a girl would be interesting. I am SURE it would not be the King of Prussia.

Grey Wolf

Donor
Derek Jackson said:
The husband for such a girl would be interesting. I am SURE it would not be the King of Prussia.

Possibly Prince Alexander of the Netherlands, the third (and second surviving) son of King Willem III...though he is ten years younger so possibly not... His older brother Crown Prince Willem is a direct contemporary (born 1840) but I can't see her marrying the heir to anyone's throne

Of course, ironically if she married Alexander, any children born to them would inherit the Dutch and English thrones as in OTL all three sons of Willem III died childless, leaving the throne to his daughter by his second wife.

Probably, though, Victoria will marry either a minor German, or into the Danish or Swedish royal families...

Grey Wolf

Though its almost impossible that Victoria would marry the Prussian king it would be interesting to see a United Kingdom of Great Britain and Germany

I found a way to have a Queen Victoria II. KIng Edward VII has one surviving son, George Frederick Ernest Albert-King George V (his other two sons died in 1892 and 1871). His eldest daughter was named Louise Victoria Alexandra. Let's assume that Prince George dies in a carriage accident in 1908, and thus, Princess Louise Victoria becomes the succesor to her father. Edward VII dies as historically, and Louise Vicotira decides to be crowned by her middle name, Victoria

And to have a King Albert, have Prince Albert, eldest son to Edward VII who died in 1892, not die. But Albet was a little odd, so let's have him be perfectly normal, and have the competence to take the thrown in 1910. Here's were I found my information, which also gives geneology.

Grey Wolf

Donor
Albert Victor, George and then Louise Victoria

So I guess if George (OTL George V) either dies young or before his marriage....

Or Albert Victor lives to marry Mary of Teck but they have no children (its possible that he was not able to), and George doesn't marry at that stage but dies maybe in a naval accident a bit later, then maybe Albert Victor predeceases his father - or even if he doesn't, Louise Victoria is next in line

Good idea Mikey

Grey Wolf

I have had a thought. WI Victoria had fewer sons than in OTL. WI they died after 1858 (when Victoria Junior married the heir to the King of Prussia) but before their mother and without having children?

Victoria II would then be Queen of England and her husband become German Emporer. If her husband, as in OTL, died young her son Whilhelm would duly become Emporer of Germany.

BUT on Victoria II's death Kaiser Bill would become King of England and Emporer of India