Legal AH books ?

Does anybody know about any AH texts which consider WI scenarios involving significant legal issues, such as the war crimes trial of Hitler had he been captured ?

Melvin Loh said:
Does anybody know about any AH texts which consider WI scenarios involving significant legal issues, such as the war crimes trial of Hitler had he been captured ?

I love this idea, and I'm going back over my law books right now to see how they can be reworked.

But they are all so dry -"Alston on Crosstime Contracts" just doesn't get it, give me some time.

Among others, John Harris has a book on Lord Lucan bringing a law suit about the charge of the Light Brigade and there's a book (I can't be faced going through my shelves) about a surviving Custer on trial after Little Big Horn.

Turtledove did a book (well actually a bunch of novellas and stories combined into a book) called 'A Different Flesh'--the basic premise is that instead of the natives crossing the Bering Strait and populating north america, it was an offshoot of early hominids (homo erectus I believe). These 'sims' are just smart enough to be put to slave labour and used for experiments. One of the stories involves a black slave and a different version of the Dred Scott v. Sanford (1857) case.

Diamond

Banned
Gray Victory - Robert Skimin

JEB Stuart on trial for blunders at Gettysburg in a CSA that 'won' the ACW after Lincoln's voted out of office. Fairly decent read.

Wombat said:
There is a german film based on the trial of mengele (IIRC)
If we are talking about the same film, "Nichts als die Wahrheit" 1998 about a nearly 100 year old Mengele looking like the devil himself, bad acting, stupid dialogues and if they had a juristical counsel for the the film they should take his law degree back and chase him tarred and feathered around the university.

The film is just bad.

As for the war crimes trial of Hitler, which started this thread, Amazon lists three books:

The Trial of Adolf Hitler by Philippe van Rijndt, which was the one I read. Hitler survives his suicide attempts, gets smuggled out of Berlin and lives in West Germany for some twenty-five years until uncovered. He is tried in New York by a special court, which for some reason decides to make it a brief trial, only calling a few witnesses. The Secret Nazi Party in Germany (wouldn't be a thriller without a Secret Nazi Party) has decided they need a Martyr.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...102-9094718-8633726?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

Operation Lucifer: The Chase, Capture, and Trial of Adolf Hitler by David B. Charnay

The reviewers who didn't like it seemed to be mostly neo-Nazi types, except for the one who pointed out the anachronism of having a microwave oven in 1953. This seems to be a door-stopper of a book (953 pages).

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...102-9094718-8633726?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

The Trial of Adolf Hitler by Michael Dunlop Young
This is a wartime book (1944) so it may be a history of the Beer Hall Putsch trial or a propaganda piece; the description is rather lacking. I am citing it for competion's sake.

HIV

Turtledove did a book (well actually a bunch of novellas and stories combined into a book) called 'A Different Flesh'--the basic premise is that instead of the natives crossing the Bering Strait and populating north america, it was an offshoot of early hominids (homo erectus I believe). These 'sims' are just smart enough to be put to slave labour and used for experiments.

I also seem to remember one short story in that collection being about the implications of AIDS and having such a close cousin of ours to experiment with.