Alternate great military commanders

Which military figures who are now virtually unknown in hist, do you guys reckon could've attained the status of some of OTL's most renown military leaders such as Napoleon, Guderian, or Eisenhower ? How could say Cols Wesley Merritt or Benjamin Grierson, outstanding Union cavalry officers who later respectively led the 9th and 10th Cav on the frontier, have risen to the same rank and prominence as their more famous contemporaries such as Custer or Pershing ?

Grey Wolf

Gone Fishin'
Donor
Melvin Loh said:
Which military figures who are now virtually unknown in hist, do you guys reckon could've attained the status of some of OTL's most renown military leaders such as Napoleon, Guderian, or Eisenhower ? How could say Cols Wesley Merritt or Benjamin Grierson, outstanding Union cavalry officers who later respectively led the 9th and 10th Cav on the frontier, have risen to the same rank and prominence as their more famous contemporaries such as Custer or Pershing ?

Well, you could have had Moore instead of Wellington

Ingenohl could have a revered place in German naval history if he had attacked the isolated portion of the Grand Fleet he came across in late 1914

I remember the Comte de Soissons accidentally blowing his brains out after victory by raising his visor with a loaded pistol. Maybe he would have gone on to something great

Grey Wolf

That's tricky...

I was always a fan of Lord Dundonald, and between him and Sidney Smith I think the Royal Navy had an embarrassment of riches in terms of alternate Nelsons. Given the chance, why not Dundonald? Especially if Waterloo goes away - but we had that elsewhere. He was a bit too mercurial for fleet command, anyway.

What's with Francis X. Sigel? All I know is that he was a popular commander. With his gift for leadership, if he had not emigrated to fight for the Union but stayed home in a more democratic Germany, could he have shown the strategic gifts required of a great commander in the Badensian-Prussian Wars? Or was he just not that good?

I always wondered about the possibilities if Yi Sun-Sin had lived to command a Korean counterstrike against Japan. Probably not much, given the economic and military imbalance, but Korea had the potential to marry Japanese aggressiveness to Chinese thoroughness - a Far Eastern Prussia or Sweden?

If Georg von Frundsberg had been given proper funding and supplies, he could have made his emperor the master of Italy. It might still not have been enough to make the history books (as opposed to songbooks) given the profusion of candidates around his time.

Maurice of Nassau never fought any major actions, did he? What if he had? He was known as a methodical, clever and resourceful man.

Given freer rein, Martius Turbo could have become a legend rather than a brief mention under 'Hadrian, generals serving with'

And poor, underestimated Wavell, of course...

Dowran and Ikani, IRIAF pilots/strategists. With different regime and better/more equpment they could achieve greatness or at least legendary status among airpower enthusiasts.