President Goldwater

Straha

Banned
The Daisy campaign is never concieved. Or LBJ is caught in bed, with
a dead whore,a sheep and a live boy. Barry Goldwater becomes president

Conseqences...

Straha

Banned
Probably the same kind of escalation in Vietnam as we got under Johnson. The use of nuclear weapons there exposes Soviet reluctance to reply in kind for anything except a nuclear attack on the USSR. The USSR has to militarize in Eastern Europe to prevent the satellites there from breaking away

He's the Republican Jimmy Carter. Congress passes 70's end of the imperial presidency legislation to force end to 'republican' war in Indochina. Goldwater obeys instead of finding end runs like Nixon - he's a strict construction limited government type - he lambasts them in the press but follows the law. He's ignored domestically. H3 is elected withlarge demo majorities in 68 and begins great society without burden of large foreign war and without much of LBJ's hubris.

1972 - HHH
1976 - Henry Jackson of Washington
1980 - Bush , GOP, - democratic economics would fail to handle
even a watered down 70's economic crisis
1984 - Bush
1988 - Brown
1992 - Brown
1996 - Dole

GOP is weaker, the Reagan Democrats fewer.

I don't think you are accurately reflecting the nature of Goldwater or his preseidency. While he was the originator of neoconservatism, he would be an actual, real life example of the ATL mythical "compassionate conservative". He would have avoided the trap of the religious right and corporate whoredom of the GOP today, so I'm not sure I see the outcome you project. If anything, the GOP enjoys more support through more honest means than it does today.

Straha said:
Probably the same kind of escalation in Vietnam as we got under Johnson. The use of nuclear weapons there exposes Soviet reluctance to reply in kind for anything except a nuclear attack on the USSR. The USSR has to militarize in Eastern Europe to prevent the satellites there from breaking away

He's the Republican Jimmy Carter. Congress passes 70's end of the imperial presidency legislation to force end to 'republican' war in Indochina. Goldwater obeys instead of finding end runs like Nixon - he's a strict construction limited government type - he lambasts them in the press but follows the law. He's ignored domestically. H3 is elected withlarge demo majorities in 68 and begins great society without burden of large foreign war and without much of LBJ's hubris.

1972 - HHH
1976 - Henry Jackson of Washington
1980 - Bush , GOP, - democratic economics would fail to handle
even a watered down 70's economic crisis
1984 - Bush
1988 - Brown
1992 - Brown
1996 - Dole

GOP is weaker, the Reagan Democrats fewer.

Well, I'm sure you all have heard the old joke...

"They warned me that if I voted for Barry Goldwater in 1964 we would have the campuses in flames, race riots burning the inner cities, a massive arms race with the Russians, and a major and utterly futile land war in SE Asia. God help me, I didn't listen and I voted for Goldwater...

:D
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I WANTED your opinion I would read it in your entrails.