AH Image Challenge

What sort of TL does this image come from?

Attachments

• Knight.bmp
    185.2 KB · Views: 1,149
It's a little fuzzy... what is it he's shooting? It looks kinda like a pump shotgun, but there seems to be some kind of firelock on it.. or is that something else?

My guess is a pneumatic gun was invented early. It has a higher ROF than muskets but is defeated by armor and so armor's military value is enhanced rather than negated.

The gun can't be compressed air powered, because it is making a muzzle flash like from an explosion in the barrel like most OTL guns.

Likeliest he is facing an enemy who only have arrows and spears.
Or the armor is made of modern super-tough metal and is bulletproof.

David Howery said:
It's a little fuzzy... what is it he's shooting? It looks kinda like a pump shotgun, but there seems to be some kind of firelock on it.. or is that something else?

It looks to me like a flintlock. It doesn't appear to be a breech-loading weapon, more like a muzzle-loader but it's barrel is too short to be a musket and it's too large to be a pistol.

It looks like a flint-lock and pump-action shotgun. Probally gunpower was utilized earlier ing guns, and shotguns become the prefered weapons of choice for cavalry or dragoons. Armor is used longer because bodyarmor can stop shotgun pellets and maybe even shotgun slugs.

earlier/broader European-CHinese contacts

As the title says. The Chinese technology infused with European
necessity for military advancement...

Here's another one: Scottish soldiers in German service during the Great War. What ATL does this come from?

soldiers.jpg

We could try having England win the Hundred-Years' War, but be so exhausted from hanging onto its continental possessions that Scotland and Ireland remain entirely free; when a Great War finally rolls around, the Scottish-Irish Alliance remains nominally neutral, but send many "military advisors" and "volunteers" to fight the traditional foe.

Kaiser Bill keeps Tirpitz on a leash and his mouth shut.

When WWI starts, the British stay out but send "volunteers", like these Highlanders.

It seems quite obvious to me.