ACW preliminary post

This is going to be a ACW were Douglas was elected president and a "Bitter Peace" was forced on the confederates. The US pays no damages to the Confeds and the South go into debt to the French and Brits. Ideas, comments.

USMAP.GIF

Justin Green said:
This is going to be a ACW were Douglas was elected president and a "Bitter Peace" was forced on the confederates. The US pays no damages to the Confeds and the South go into debt to the French and Brits. Ideas, comments.

If Douglas was elected President instead of Lincoln, why does the South secede? It was the fact that LINCOLN (and the Republican Party he represented) was elected which started the ball rolling in OTL.

map Huh

IF your TL is CloseEnuff to ours that we have WVa, Then there probbily would have been a Tenn. secedeing. Kentucky would be probmatic [ever or]. Without Lincoln sending troops to sit in the Sepctators Gallery, Probally Marysland. ?Does Douglas handle the Indians Better so the Civilized tribes [Oklahoma] don't declare war on the US?

Im very sorry I meant to say that McClellan was elected in 1864. Sorry again fopr confusion. Will post timeline next week.

McClellan would have continued the fight. He was also against the secession of the South. The democrats were not the 'peace party' everyone believes them to have been.

I agree with you. But to get Mac elected Atlanta will have to go differnetly so the south's fate isnt sealed so much. So many people seem to believe that Mac was for peace when he wasnt. This timeline shows that if the copperheads who getr him elected are fighting him in his cabinet and in congress that he will make a peace, but a peace that will ruin the South. No reperations, the north refuses to return slaves, the south is forbidden to expand territorily and is forbidden to allow foriegn troops to be staion on its soil or to sell its lands to foreign nations except US. As well as arming freed slaves in the south. All this bring the south to its knees as it economy collapses and the already exhausted southerners are forced to put down black revolts. This leads to the gradual reannexation of each of the confederate states, one by one, ending probably in the early 1900's.

I dont think this is a likely TL but I think it is alot more probable than all other TLs revolving around the elections of 1864 that some *ahem* pro-confederates on the board post.