AH Challenge: Peaceful End of ACW/Reunification

Ok, I am pondering the finer points of an AH timeline of my own making and one of the things that I cant figure out is how to get a plausible POD to result in a peaceful end and reconciliation of the ACW, with an end to slavery. Can anyone think of anything?

david3565 said:
Ok, I am pondering the finer points of an AH timeline of my own making and one of the things that I cant figure out is how to get a plausible POD to result in a peaceful end and reconciliation of the ACW, with an end to slavery. Can anyone think of anything?

North captures Richmond early and wins easily perhaps?

emperorharry86 said:
North captures Richmond early and wins easily perhaps?

I was hoping it wasn't a decisive Northern Victory, but something along those lines might have to do. Can anyone come up with a timeline or detailed scenario? Maybe where both sides are forced to come to the negotiating table?

Xen

Banned
You pretty much have to have a northern victory, unless Britain, France, Russia and everybody in Europe declare their support for the Union at the wars beginning (perhaps seeing the south firing upon Ft Sumpter as aggressive). The south would then realize its war they can not win and back down.

The best way for reconstruction to go smoother will be for Lincoln to live through his second term. He'd be squaring off with the Radical Republicans, but ironically have the full support of the South.

Maybe no Lincoln

Lincoln is not elected president. The ATL president is more consensus or compromise oriented, so the ACW starts a little later.

After the war starts the Europeans are much more in favor of the North, and boycott all diplomatic efforts by the CSA.

The North basically fights a western war, while following a defensive strategy in the East, but does so with greater success than the opening capaigns of OTL.

The South collapses under its own economic inefficiencies.