Stealth ships/boats

How could stealth ships and boats such as the 1 owned by the evil media magnate in TOMORROW NEVER DIES, come into a better degree of development and operation by the present day ?

Sargon

Donor
Monthly Donor
The stealth boat in the Bond film was pretty cool, probably inspired by HMS Smyge, Swedish navy experimental stealth design made 10 years ago (see image)

The technology would need to be less expensive, and perhaps there needs to be a bigger naval conflict where anti-ship missiles are not defeated by countermeasures often, resulting in significant losses. That would motivate more reasearch into stealth ships I guess.

Sargon

smyge.jpg

My dad used to work on this kind of stuff for the Australia DoD... I'll find out more info about it when I see him later today.

NapoleonXIV

Banned
A book by James H. Cobb called Choosers of the Slain is a fictionalized account of a Stealth warship set in 2006.

Hard to say how any branch of military science could be more advanced than at present in the US Military, perhaps if the final years of the Soviets had seen a buildup in the Navies instead of Star Wars.

Last edited:
All right: the reason stealth ships are hard to build is they need to be completely built from the superstructure up. You can't use existing designs and you need funny tools. No exterior surface can be within 20 degrees of a right angle. And since ships travel a lot slower than planes, it's easier to pick them up on radar, even if they only return a faint signal, so you need good radar-absorbant materials.