1980 - Reagan/Ford

In 1980 there was wide speculation that Reagan would ask Gerald Ford to be his running mate, instead he went with George Bush. What if Reagan had chosen Ford in 1980? This not only pretty much ends the political career of George Bush, but it gives Reagan a direct link back to the Nixon administration. What happens from here?

Diamond

Banned
Reagan gets shot on schedule by Hinckley, but in this TL he dies. Ford becomes President... again. :)

Diamond said:
Reagan gets shot on schedule by Hinckley, but in this TL he dies. Ford becomes President... again. :)

Hmmm, who would Ford take as his VP then? Because Ford couldn't run for reelection in 1984, that VP would have had at least a good shot at the nomination in '84. (Against Mondale I suppose). Election 1984--Mondale vs. whoever might be close.

I remember reading right after the convention that the big reason Ford didn't become the VP nominee is that the price of his entry was that several Nixon-era cabinet members would be in Reagan's cabinet, and Reagan didn't want to be identified with Nixon. I can't remember who all was on the list, but I think Kissinger was one of them....

If Ford is indeed Reagan's VP in 1980, and everything goes according to OTL, then in 1984 I think Bob Dole has a great shot at the Republican nomination, if Reagan is dead. Otherwise, is there a chance that 1988 is Dole's year if Ford is kept on until then?

Of course, Bush's political career takes a hit. It will be harder for his sons George W. and Jeb Bush to get elected in this TL without their name recognition.

Let's see:

1984: If Reagan lives past the assassination attempt, then it would be:

Reagan defeats Mondale

1988: Dole defeats Dukakis

1992: Clinton vs. Dole? Maybe. I'm not sure if Clinton wins; maybe some butterflies will help the economy, or at least Dole's chances for re-election. Also, butterflies may hurt Clinton's nomination.

Diamond said:

Heh. Interesting. See if anybody ever picks HIM as a running mate again.

Can you do that? If he gets picked as veep for a third time and the President is killed/dies again is Ford on the outs 'cause he's used up all his turns?

Yeah, I know it's a stretch. ;)