Fox at the Front

Well, here's an AH title that appeared out of nowhere... at least, I had no idea that it was on the way. As you might guess from the title, it's the sequel to "Fox on the Rhine", and the cover says it deals with the events after that book. The "dream team' of Patton and Rommel have to deal with the remnants of the SS who opposed Rommel's surrender to the allies, and apparently, the Russians decide to get back into the fray and go for broke in eastern Europe. I just got it today, and haven't read it yet... any of you seen this one yet?

Spoilers...

Spoilers

Spoilers

Spoilers

Spoilers

OK, you got it. ;)

I read the book some time ago and must say that I liked part 1 more. The idea of the SS units fighting the Wehrmacht is quite good and I also enjoyed the parts about the HJ kid that in the end tries to assassinate the "traitor" Rommel. On the other hand, the Soviets running straight into the US army under Patton, and in the very end FatMan being dropped on Potsdam to stop them, is a very extreme turn. I also thought the Germans disintegrated too quickly when fighting the Soviets in the story. After all, there no longer was the insane GröFaz who ordered to defend indefensible positions and thus wasted whole army corps...also, the Me262 no longer was to be heard of, not a single word of the V-weapons...hmm.

Nevertheless, a good read and recommended.

I read both volumes of this book, and enjoyed them. I thought at the end that the German army would have been more resiliant than it was, particularly after what was left allied with the US, but all in all it was a good read.

The book was good although I enjoyed Fox on the Rhine more. Don't count out the Russians on the Eastern Front. With three Army Groups attacking only so many divisions of German troops the fight wouldn't last too long. The Germans on the Oder will undersupported and undermanded in both the book and real life. As to the Me-262s, were do the Germans get the fuel for them after the failure of Fucs am Rhine.

And the 3rd Army taken on the Soviets, I think Patton would have a hard time slowing the Soviets. Again only because Zukov had numbers on his side. The T-34 and Sherman were pretty equal when the Sherman had a high powered 76mm. This was shown in Korea. Love how they fool the Sovs into thinking they got dozens of nukes.