View Full Version : Favorite POD grab bag
January 4th, 2004, 05:52 PM
From the favorite POD thread, my post:
1) WI the Cuban Missile Crisis escalated into World War 3?
2) What if Napoleon tried to keep Louisiana?
3) What if Russia offered to sell Alaska to Britain?
4) What if Hitler stopped in Aug 1939 and tried to further build up and Nazify what he already had?
5) What if the CSA somehow won the Civil War?
6) What if France refused to back the colonies in the ARW?
7) What if the colonies split up after winning independence?
8) What if the Church had supported Heliocentrism in the 16th-17th Century?
9) What if "Glorious Revolution" fails?
10) What if Spanish Armada succeeds?
January 4th, 2004, 06:00 PM
Those are some of the more popular PODs that I know, along with a few I haven't seen before.
What if Richard Nixon wins in 1960?
What if Germany wins WWI?
What if Mexico is annexed entirely by the US in 1848?
the Apple Man
October 3rd, 2008, 08:56 PM
10) What if Spanish Armada succeeds?
October 3rd, 2008, 09:15 PM
In no particular order...
What if Spanish Armada succeeds?
What if the Ottomans take Malta in 1565?
What if Theodore Roosevelt gets a third term (either in 1908 or 1912)?
What if the Russo-Japanese War escalated to involve the British and French?
What if Napoleon didn't sell Louisiana?
What if Andrew Jackson was killed in the 1935 assassination attempt?
Can't think of any other specific ones that are my favorites.
The Militant One
October 3rd, 2008, 09:35 PM
What if Soviet Union doesn't collapse?
What if Third Reich chooses NOT to go to war?
October 3rd, 2008, 09:37 PM
What if Adolf Hitler were captured alive by the Allies in 1945?
October 3rd, 2008, 10:28 PM
What if Germany won WW1?
What if Japan had never unified?
What if the Nationalists won the Chinese Civil War?
What if Stalin never rose to power?
What if Hitler died in the trenches of WW1?
The usual, really.
October 3rd, 2008, 11:02 PM
What if LBJ ran again in 1968?
October 3rd, 2008, 11:03 PM
What if Dewey's force was defeated at Manila?
October 3rd, 2008, 11:04 PM
What if William Henry Harrison survives the pneumonia that actually killed him after 30 days in office?
October 3rd, 2008, 11:06 PM
No Beeching Report? (I ought to do a thread on that...)
The Sinclair C5 manages NOT to become a massive loss-maker, even if it remains only a novelty?
Both post-1900 I know...
October 3rd, 2008, 11:09 PM
What if Miguel da Paz had lived?
What if Erich von Manstein's plan had been used in 1943 instead of the encirclement at Kursk?
What if Don Juan of Austria had not died?
What if Jose de San Martin had taken sides in the civil war of 1829-1831?
What if Jose Maria Paz had defeated Rosas in said wars?
What if William Jennings Bryan had won the 1896 Presidential election?
October 3rd, 2008, 11:41 PM
What if Alexander the Great lived?
What if McClellan made a full attack against the South in 1862?
What if the original escorted land convoy relief plan had been attempted in response to the Berlin Blockade?
What if the USSR actually intervened in the Yom Kippur War?
What if Aaron Bailey caught Jim Harbaugh's hail mary in the 1995 AFC Championship? (Only marginally serious :D)
October 4th, 2008, 12:16 AM
What if hot-air balloons, newspapers, public transportation and five-star hotels had been developed earlier?
What if James Garfield had served two full terms?
What if Mae West had had a different career?
What if Mondale had been president with Carter as his VP?
October 4th, 2008, 12:28 PM
I tend to prefer time lines that were 'better' than our own. (For me this excludes, or course, a Nazi triumph but also a Souther victory in the ACW)
1) Successful radical reconstruction. Compensation in the form of land to former slaves. Through this destruction of the planter class as a class (without any harming any individuals)
2) Republicans in power in the US in the late 1970s and Conservatives in the UK during that period, results in progressive governments in the anglo saxon World and pushing overall politics several steps to the left ever since.
October 4th, 2008, 06:07 PM
1. What if the Mexica defeated Cortez? (And industrialized thanks to the Portuguese?)
2. What if the Democratic Party didn't split in 1854? (And Stephen Douglas was elected President in 1860?)
3. What if the Spanish Empire survived the 17th Century and continued to the 20th Century?
4. What if Jefferson Davis ordered General Lee to take the helm of the Army of the Tennessee and command the western theater?
5. What if Lodovico Bounarroti stopped Michelangelo from becoming an artist? (And Fra Savonarola found a loyal Lieutenant in Michelangel?)
6. What if Napoleon's invasion of Russia was successful?
Those are my top six. A few of them are PODs along with the "desired butterfly" I'm looking for. For example, having a President Douglas fighting the ACW isn't what I'm looking for, so making him a northern and southern choice might have the desired affect of a non-wartime President Douglas.
vBulletin® v3.8.4, Copyright ©2000-2013, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.