PDA

View Full Version : Great Lakes Region - Names for a Nation?

PCSwitaj
November 13th, 2007, 03:36 AM
What are names for a nation in the Great Lakes region (for me, I define as from the state of Ohio to the Mississippi, and from the Ohio River north to the border with Canada)?

Jasen777
November 13th, 2007, 04:20 AM
It really depends how this nation comes about. If it's a American Indian confederacy it could be named for the dominate tribe(s). If it's a nation formed by Anglo settlers it might just be called Ohio.

PCSwitaj
November 15th, 2007, 05:32 PM
It really depends how this nation comes about. If it's a American Indian confederacy it could be named for the dominate tribe(s). If it's a nation formed by Anglo settlers it might just be called Ohio.

At least in my case, it's a "white" nation that had been a part of Virginia until the 1900s-1910s, when they throw off the oppressors and go Commie Red for a bit (the name would be for when Communism fails in the 1970s)

VT45
November 16th, 2007, 02:59 AM
Hmm, the People's Republic of Sumichureron?

Yeah, all I did was combine all the lake names.

Analytical Engine
November 16th, 2007, 12:32 PM

Or Illinois.

The Illinois country covered basically the entire Old Northwest, appart from Ohio.

PCSwitaj
November 16th, 2007, 07:45 PM
Or Illinois.

The Illinois country covered basically the entire Old Northwest, appart from Ohio.

So would something like this work? (I know it's AH, but it should still make some type of sense...)

Oh, and sorry about the map...real quick map (like, 1 min or less...or it's free! :D)

Dan1988
November 17th, 2007, 03:06 AM
Well I'd separate the Upper Peninsula and Minnesota into separate provinces.

Analytical Engine
November 17th, 2007, 10:15 AM
So would something like this work? (I know it's AH, but it should still make some type of sense...)

Oh, and sorry about the map...real quick map (like, 1 min or less...or it's free! :D)

The Ohio country mostly consisted of ... (howls of surprise) most of OTL Ohio... :p

Therefore, a diferent name for Indiana would be in order... Miami, perhaps?

Highlander
November 17th, 2007, 01:06 PM
Ahhh, one of my favorite aspects of Alternate History, as I'm sure you know :cool:

Luckily you have a plethora of names to choose from. Supieror, Huron, Miami, Ohio (or Ohiyo, spelled phonetically and close to the origion), Wyandotsia. Another option could be to name it after a prominant person in your TL. Or, it could be Mishigami (or some variation of that), if your white settlers are particularly anti-French.

As for the states, it seems unlikely that OTL borders would remain. Depending on the scenario, smaller states could possibly be carved out of it.

PCSwitaj
November 19th, 2007, 12:03 AM
Thanks for all the imput! :D

On the borders issue, would it be at all possible for, at least for OTL Illinois, Indiana, and Ohio, for the borders to be the same? If a similar act where passed in this timeline, could these states maintime present borders, but more northern states have different borders depending on land settlement? For instance, OTL Ohio, Indiana, and Illinois were the first three states to join the Union from the Northwest Territory. From there, settlement paterns could deviate more so then OTL...if that makes any sense...

PCSwitaj
November 19th, 2007, 04:07 AM
Okay, I had some thought, and now give a revised version of the map to be scrutinized. Feel free to!

And a quick note: The red are the borders that I had in mind, but when I had finished I decided to add the green one as well - tell me which one is better / makes more sense, if you would be so kind.:o

EDIT: The red line between 5 and 6 is the actual border, while the dashed green line goes along the Wisconsin River, then in a line to Lake Gogebic, then to Lake Superior.

Dan1988
November 19th, 2007, 08:33 PM
I think you can carve OTL Illinois, Indiana, and Ohio into smaller states. As Highlander stated, it is unlikely that the OTL borders would remain. Thus, the green border looks better.

Highlander
November 19th, 2007, 10:36 PM
It seems that for number six, there are too few people to make a state - the green line would be better.

And I concur; Ohio, Indiana, Illinois and maybe even Michigan into smaller states. But it depends; is there a lot of gerymandering and such in this nation? Are population bases about the same?

PCSwitaj
November 19th, 2007, 11:25 PM
I think you can carve OTL Illinois, Indiana, and Ohio into smaller states. As Highlander stated, it is unlikely that the OTL borders would remain. Thus, the green border looks better.

It seems that for number six, there are too few people to make a state - the green line would be better.

And I concur; Ohio, Indiana, Illinois and maybe even Michigan into smaller states. But it depends; is there a lot of gerymandering and such in this nation? Are population bases about the same?

Again, thanks for the imput...

As for the borders - before I make any final decissons...can someone please explain to me why the states currently have their borders as they are? My line of thinking is that, since Virgina passes an act very similar to the Northwest Ordinance of OTL, that states along the Ohio River would have similar borders to start with. Are my thoughts off on this idea? The major change would be the lower peninsula being admitted as a state by itself, without the upper peninsula. From their, the amount of land left would effect how they are added into states (of course, population movements effect this as well - another reason I would think the lower three would be about the same - since Virginia plays a vastly larger role then OTL, they would be the first ones to join, with an overall movement north afterwards).

Again, please give me imput, as this is important for me to set up later events...such as red flags flying in Paris...and Detroit?:D

Baron von Feldspar
November 20th, 2007, 05:32 AM
what about Michuront?

Baron von Feldspar
November 20th, 2007, 06:11 AM
Or Huronia?

It covers the lake Huron and Ontario regions.

chrispi
December 19th, 2007, 04:49 AM
I proposed Lacustria in my British North America ATL, being that the country is dominated by lakes.

Douglas
December 26th, 2007, 05:15 AM
If its been part of Virginia, then it could be divided into counties, albeit rather large counties.

You could then have the People's Republic/Worker's Republic/Republic of North Virginia: nice, sweet, and to the point!

AdmiralVonTrapp
April 1st, 2008, 05:59 PM
Guten Tag! Although I can't think of a suitable name for this area, there IS one thing that you must do in order to make this a viable nation. Take it from someone from an old sea-faring family - you MUST have direct access to the sea. My suggestion is that you roll through Pennsylvania into New Jersey and also take the Delmarva Peninsula. Yes, you could conceivably take Virgina with its great port facilities in the Norfolk area. Unfortunately, I don't think that you would want to deal with the peculiar problems facing your southern cousins. Thus, you would create an effective buffer zone between the New Englanders and the Southen states. The major problem now is that, for international trade, you are completely at the mercy of your neighbors' good offices. Even with the building of the St. Lawrence Seaway, you still could potentially be "running a gauntlet" of shore batteries from a multitude of possible enemies - worst of all would be the French in Quebec. Plus, you'll need the coal and the oil that Pennsylvania can provide to fuel your economy. Since I'm assuming your tax laws will be fair and equitable, then New Jerseyites will be liberated from their erstwhile burdensome taxation. Then, when you build your new air base in Dover (Delmarva province), you have the ability to project yourself not only to the north and south, but possibly across the Atlantic. But, for all of this, you need your own outlet to the sea. Gruss Gott, von Trapp