PDA

View Full Version : How peaceful was the Pax Romana?

Admiral Matt
October 15th, 2007, 05:06 PM
I was pondering the history of Rome yesterday, and it occurred to me to question the name "Pax Romana."

Just how peaceful was it, to live within the borders of the Empire? I'm thinking here of the various civil wars and rebellions that popped up from time to time. Perhaps they were fewer in number than those that occurred before the Romans arrived, but that's really an inevitable outcome of having a set of dozens of tribes/kingdoms/cities replaced by 2-3 factions, isn't it? And it would seem to me that the larger wars waged within Roman territory were much more destructive than the petty tribal feuds they replaced.

So what do you think? For the vast majority of citizens, did Rome really make their lives that much more peaceful?

Mitro
October 15th, 2007, 08:24 PM
If you happened to be among the most wealthiest of Romans, than yes the Pax was a pretty good time to be living. As for everyone esle, they say nothing really changes for the people on the bottom, but social history was never really my thing.

Max Sinister
October 16th, 2007, 05:19 PM
If you lived during the time when the legions duked it out for the emperor title, or in a province where the Germanics invaded, not that good. But otherwise, it seemed to be quiet.