View Full Version : GURPS AE2 poll
January 26th, 2004, 05:30 PM
Which timeline in Gurps Alternate Earths 2 is most plausible?
January 26th, 2004, 05:39 PM
You want to give us some idea what these AE's are like?
January 26th, 2004, 05:46 PM
January 27th, 2004, 02:36 PM
- Cornwallis: Sometimes I wonder whether the Gurps authors always write about TLs where the progress of society and/or technics has been hampered instead of the opposite. I guess it's easier than the opposite. No, there's too few changes during so much time.
- Ming-5: POD and beginning OK. But later, they somehow / somewhen cross the border between possible and impossible... Louis XIV performing a cotow? Sorry, nope.
- Midgard: I don't know enough about Greek fire, but I can't find anything too implausible... I only wonder that the native American states survive the Old World diseases that good...
- Caliph: I don't know about Islam to tell whether to POD would be possible or not. But later, the Muslim empires just grow a bit too big, esp. Bulgaria. (They didn't even have railways yet!)
- Aeolus: I had the same thoughts as about Cornwallis, though this TL seems more probable.
- Centrum: The history has too many holes... there have to be important events which weren't mentioned. No, I'm not sure whether early empires might grow that big.
July 14th, 2007, 04:59 PM
I decided to go through Gurps AE2 again; here are my Critics about the various TLs from it.
- How does Prussia (only with British support) survive not just one, but three wars against a coalition of Austria, France, Spain and Russia? Scharnhorst couldn't save that one either.
- Russian dominate abolishes the Orthodox church? Not just restrict, but abolish?
- Why didn't they try to take Japan and/or Alyeska from Russia in the Great War?
- Why don't the Muslims try to retake their Holy Cities?
- Again, I'd have liked to read more about expansion in some areas, or about Russia.
- The Yanomami seem to be another case of space-filling empire.
- Why isn't the population much higher? Two billion in the four Caliphates, one billion in the Umma, 600 million under Jamahiriya, 700 in Hind, some more in China and Firanj... given that the deserts have been greened, Earth could feed many more people. Even if TTL Muslims weren't much interested in reproduction, their longer lives should help the population rise.
- Is it possible to build a jet engine from scratch, if you don't have working planes yet?
- Does it make sense that the pope gets Italy?
- I guess Austria would have to fight much more to defeat Prussia.
- Could Toulouse and Sicily make the pope cancel a crusade?
- How does the Anglo-French empire manage not just the conquest, but also keeping the Muslims' lands, China and Russia?
vBulletin® v3.8.4, Copyright ©2000-2013, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.