PDA

View Full Version : I can't help myself...

Emperor Qianlong
September 2nd, 2008, 10:06 PM
... but only wonder what DAv is doing in the Wiki. He seems to have created numerous articles which make little sense to me, for example articles of single years, articles with a lot of empty links, and some stuff that seems to be from a timeline of his own. Why? :confused:

DAv
September 2nd, 2008, 10:09 PM
... but only wonder what DAv is doing in the Wiki. He seems to have created numerous articles which make little sense to me, for example articles of single years, articles with a lot of empty links, and some stuff that seems to be from a timeline of his own. Why? :confused:

You mean on my British Imperialism TL? I'm setting them aside so I can add stuff later on.

Emperor Qianlong
September 2nd, 2008, 10:17 PM
You mean on my British Imperialism TL? I'm setting them aside so I can add stuff later on.

Yeah, I'm just wondering. No offense, but it seems to me that you're adding a lot of rather unnecessary articles into the Wiki. At least I get the impression. I mean, there seem to be more articles now about your TL than on OTL... :confused:

Anyways, never mind. If everyone else say this is alright, I don't want to have said anything... ;):p

DAv
September 2nd, 2008, 10:19 PM
No offense, but it seems to me that you're adding a lot of rather unnecessary articles into the Wiki. At least I get the impression. I mean, there seem to be more articles now about your TL than on OTL...

We have articles on OTL now? I just wanted to tidy it up a bit and make it more presentable.

Jasen777
September 2nd, 2008, 11:09 PM
The only place he has gone wrong is with some of his page names. I'll take care of it later.

Herr Frage
September 3rd, 2008, 02:00 AM
Technically all our wikis are pointless, but we love them anyway. And since what business does OTL material have on an AH wiki anyway. The point of a wiki is to provide faux encyclpoedic nformation on the subject, a small wiki is a poor wiki.

Thande
September 3rd, 2008, 09:32 AM
Yeah, the only problem is that DAv isn't labelling them "British Imperialism TL Culture" instead of just "Culture" because that then fills a generic space that should be available for a Max Sinister style page. There needs to be a different page for, e.g. the Britain in each timeline, so they all need to be labelled "Look to the West Great Britain" or "Decades of Darkness Great Britain" or whatever.

Emperor Qianlong
September 3rd, 2008, 05:39 PM
Technically all our wikis are pointless, but we love them anyway. And since what business does OTL material have on an AH wiki anyway. The point of a wiki is to provide faux encyclpoedic nformation on the subject, a small wiki is a poor wiki.

Well, my only problem with DAv's pages are basically what Thande said, namely that he didn't explicitly label them as articles about his TL.

About OTL articles being pointless, I'd say I disagree. I personally enjoy the (often highly satirical content) of these articles very much! :D:cool:

Thande
September 3rd, 2008, 06:56 PM
About OTL articles being pointless, I'd say I disagree. I personally enjoy the (often highly satirical content) of these articles very much! :D:cool:
Ditto. Especially when people write about their own region's stereotypes and stuff, you can learn a lot.

Nekromans
September 3rd, 2008, 07:32 PM
Ditto. Especially when people write about their own region's stereotypes and stuff, you can learn a lot.

Speaking as a Leicestrian, I'd like to know more about my own region's stereotypes. Are we considered important enough to be distinguished from everywhere else? Or are we consigned to "Midlander"?

Thande
September 3rd, 2008, 07:52 PM
Speaking as a Leicestrian, I'd like to know more about my own region's stereotypes. Are we considered important enough to be distinguished from everywhere else? Or are we consigned to "Midlander"?
Unfortunately I think most people just think of cheese and Gary Lineker. Although your fellow Midlanders from nearby might have some local things to say.

One of my favourite examples of this comes from a book about the North of England by Stuart Maconie - he cites two towns in Cumbria, Workington and Whitehaven. The inhabitants of both call each other "jam-eaters", and no-one knows why.

Jasen777
September 3rd, 2008, 07:56 PM
How about my Texas article?

Thande
September 3rd, 2008, 09:16 PM
Good work on re-doing DAv's labels, Jasen.

Emperor Qianlong
September 3rd, 2008, 11:24 PM
How about my Texas article?

Excellent job there, Jasen777. I like it, especially having visited Texas myself and recognizing some of that stuff! :)

Jasen777
September 3rd, 2008, 11:28 PM
Thanks. Did you look at it after a put the map up (and made a few other changes)?

Emperor Qianlong
September 3rd, 2008, 11:35 PM
Thanks. Did you look at it after a put the map up (and made a few other changes)?

Map?

...*checks*...

Good one! :D:cool:

DAv
September 4th, 2008, 12:00 AM

Thanks a lot for the links chappy! Anything I can add into the TL as a way of saying thanks?

Jasen777
September 4th, 2008, 08:39 PM
Thanks a lot for the links chappy! Anything I can add into the TL as a way of saying thanks?

That's not necessary, just keep plugging away.

Codae
January 17th, 2009, 01:01 AM
03771 is doing the same thing, apparently...