What could of been done to improve Andrew Johnson's legacy?

While searching not only this thread, but also a number of sites for information on Andrew Johnson, I came to the realization that people don't like him that much :rolleyes:.

That being said, it is often saddening to see all but one thread on this site dedicated to Johnson's hanging, assassination or impeachment. I know that it was often justified, because of his opposition to the Republican reconstruction, but what would of happened if he had supported some of their views on reconstruction? Or, alternatively, what could of been done to improve Andrew Johnson's legacy?

While searching not only this thread, but also a number of sites for information on Andrew Johnson, I came to the realization that people don't like him that much :rolleyes:.

That being said, it is often saddening to see all but one thread on this site dedicated to Johnson's hanging, assassination or impeachment. I know that it was often justified, because of his opposition to the Republican reconstruction, but what would of happened if he had supported some of their views on reconstruction? Or, alternatively, what could of been done to improve Andrew Johnson's legacy?

Maybe if he tried to actually punish the South instead of saying "they lost, and they can come back in now just as before", things would be better between him and Congress. I'm not saying he roll over and let the Radical Republicans pass every bill they want into office, but focus on reconciliation, land redistribution, and punishing the higher ups who orchestrated the war. When he came into office, many people thought that given, Johnson was a poor man and a Southern Unionist, he'd be harsher on the landed aristocracy, but alas he let the momentum Lincoln's death gave him go to waste.

He was by a long shot a worthless, misantropic, hateful and hated man for a reason. Full of both contradictions and ignorances. For him to change his governing style, especially toward blacks (This is a country for white men, and by God, as long as I am President, it shall be a government for white men.) and his fellow southerners is going to take a long road backwards to get a start.

Though there's no denying that premature death is often beneficial to a leader's historical reputation. Had Lincoln survived, he'd either have had to "betray the freedmen" by restoring the South under white rule, or else follow the Radicals' line, and probably meet the same failure. Similar for FDR vis a vis the Soviets. It has also been oft noted what bad luck it was for Wilson to survive his 1919 stroke.

Had AJ caught a chill and died during the Winter of 1865/66, ie while the quarrel with Congress was barely under way, he would be seen as continuing Lincoln's "Let 'em up easy" approach, and any trouble later would be blamed on Lafayette Foster and Grant, with Johnson getting pretty much of a pass. After all even OTL, down to the 1960s he was mostly viewed as a tragic if flawed hero, and the Radicals as the villains of the piece. That attitude could have gone on longer.

Shot dead...sooner

If he was shot while speaking vigourously against Tennesee breakinbg away from the Union--or while organizing Eastern Tennesee into its own state after it broke free--then he's a heroic martyr in the fight against treason and tyranny, untainted by post war problems.