The King of Light Will Appear (明王出世)

OBLIGATORY ADMINISTRATIVE STUFF: This timeline will focus on an alternate end to the Yuan Dynasty (OTL 1279-1368) In real life, the Yuan were finally put out of their misery in 1368 after more than fifteen years of decline and collapse by the army of warlord Zhu Yuanzhang, who had emerged victorious from a decade-long power struggle with other anti-Yuan rebels. Zhu is now more commonly referred to as the Hongwu Emperor, founder of the Ming Dynasty. I’ll be writing about a different end to the Red Turban Rebellion, which is the catch-all term used to refer to the uprisings against the Yuan that began in 1351 and the struggles for power between various rebel warlords. This post will be mostly concerned with providing background and context; all events described are as per OTL until the end of the entry, at which point the POD will be discussed. Thanks for reading, and I hope you enjoy it.

*It is 1363, the Year of the Rabbit, the eighty-fourth year of Great Yuan and the forty-third year of the reign of the Huizong Emperor. It is the twelfth year since all-under-Heaven was plunged into chaos and the great Rebellion of the Red Turbans began. After several years of flood and famine, things came to a head in 1351, when more than a hundred thousand peasants were forced to provide labor for a project intended to re-channel the Huang River. It was then that a rebellion broke out, led by the charismatic Han Shantong. The rebels drew support mostly from the impoverished classes, whom the previous lean years had affected most grievously, and there was an additional component of ethnic nationalism present as well; the Han majority rose up against their Mongol rulers. Religion also played an important role in the Red Turban Rebellion. Many of the rebel leaders and followers swore allegiance to the millenarian White Lotus sect of Buddhism (1), which preached the imminent return of the Maitreya Buddha (弥勒佛, milefo) to Earth. Although Han Shantong’s initial rebellion was cut unceremoniously short by his capture and execution at the hands of the Yuan, his followers continued to carry the torch of rebellion in his stead. Led by Liu Futong, the Red Turbans swept through the north in the mid-1350s, at one point sacking the Mongol summer capital of Shangdu itself. As the power of the Yuan began to decline with increasing speed, more rebel factions began to emerge in the south of China, where the Mongol presence had virtually ceased to exist. While Great Yuan was able to defend the north and their capital at Dadu (2) from the depredations of Liu Futong and his Northern Red Turbans, based in Anhui, in the south - and around the Chang River delta in particular - the main struggle was not between the Yuan and the rebels, but between several rebel factions vying for prominence. It is this uneasy balance of power that persists in 1363, as the rebels fight to break Great Yuan once and for all and to seize the Mandate of Heaven for themselves. Herewith, a guide to the most notable rebel leaders, and the factions they command:

CHEN YOULIANG (陈友谅), King of HAN: Chen assumed his position of power after betraying and murdering his superior Xu Shouhui, former Emperor of Tianwan before the fragmentation of the Southern Red Turbans. Chen controls the upper Chang River valley from his capital at Jiangzhou, and his naval forces in particular are feared by all. He has few friends among the other factions due to his betrayal of Xu Shouhui, but Chen has always been rash and impetuous, and this does not bother him overly much. His faction is one of the few remaining who still hold to the White Lotus doctrine of Buddhism that was such a key factor in the initial stages of the rebellion. Chen’s goal is simple: he wishes to crush the other rebel factions, unite them under his leadership, and march on Dadu to overthrow the Yuan Dynasty and usher in a new age.

ZHU YUANZHANG (朱元璋), King of MING: Zhu came to power after the death in battle of his mentor, the leader and general Guo Zixing. He currently controls the territory south of the Chang River delta from his capital at Nanjing, though his territories are not as rich or as populous as several of his rivals. Zhu pays lip service to the more fundamentalist elements present in his ranks - notably by naming his faction Ming as a nod to White Lotus leader Han Shantong’s proclamation 明王出世 (mingwang chushi, or “the king of light will appear”), but he is a conservative Confucian at heart. Of note is the fact that Zhu theoretically owes allegiance to Han Lin’er, son of Han Shantong, styled the King of Song, who is currently a ward of Liu Futong in Anhui. In reality, Zhu’s ultimate goals and aims are as unknown, and there are many who speculate that the only man he truly owes allegiance to is himself.

ZHANG SHICHENG (张士诚), King of WU: Zhang controls some of the richest territory in China from his capital at Suzhou north of the Chang River delta. Formerly a salt merchant, he rose to prominence in the mid-1350s and has maintained his position as one of the strongest of the warlords ever since. Zhang has more or less abandoned any pretense at adhering to White Lotus Buddhism; he runs his fief along strictly Confucian lines, in part to appease the large numbers of wealthy and upper-class families who are concentrated in his domain. Zhang has at times flirted with vassalage to the Yuan, taking bribes in exchange for titles, but he has maintained strict control over the area that he now considers to be more or less his private fief. While he is perhaps the strongest of the rebels on paper, Zhang is a relatively indecisive and cautious man, and often hesitates to take the fight to other factions.

MING YUZHEN (明玉珍), King of XIA: Formerly a general loyal to Xu Shouhui, Ming struck out on his own after Xu’s death at the hands of Chen Youliang. From his capital at Chongqing, Ming controls virtually the entirety of Sichuan. Ming embraces not White Lotus Buddhism, but another radical religious doctrine - Manichaeism, which emphasizes a struggle between forces of light and darkness. Ming has suppressed Buddhism and Daoism (save for the worship of the Maitreya Buddha) in his fief, but has at the same time attempted to co-opt the privileged classes by instituting examinations, building schools, and observing some Confucian rituals and ceremonies. Ming maintains cordial relations with Zhu Yuanzhang, but he is militantly opposed to Chen Youliang’s faction after Chen betrayed and murdered Xu Shouhui.

FANG GUOZHEN (方国珍), the PIRATE KING: Fang controls the coastal areas of Zhejiang and Jiangsu with the aid of his great fleet, unmatched in all of China. Yet he is less of a rebel and more of an opportunist; his current game involves swearing allegiance to the Mongols in exchange for money and titles, then coming back in a year or two and demanding more money and a higher rank in return for staying in the fold. While Fang could be a power in his own right, this behavior has led many to speculate that he lacks ambition and will not be a contender for the Mandate of Heaven. It is likely that he will simply throw his support to the eventual winner, whoever that may be, in return for - guess what - money and titles. Fang is a regional power and the uncontrolled overlord of the southern coast, but is not a major player in the struggle for ultimate supremacy.

LIU FUTONG (刘福通), Protector of SONG: From his capital at Anfeng in Anhui Province, Liu presides over the remnants of the once-powerful Northern Red Turbans. He is the guardian of Han Lin’er, son of Han Shantong and King of Song, but it is Liu who is firmly in charge of preserving Han’s legacy for the moment. While the Northern Red Turbans are not nearly the power that they once were, they still maraud through the north with near impunity at times, threatening what remains of Great Yuan. Liu Futong is tentatively allied with Zhu Yuanzhang, who in theory supports Han Lin’er as the future Emperor. He has reason to be worried about his neighbor to the immediate south, Zhang Shicheng, who has no love for Han and Liu or for the millenarian White Lotus faith that they continue to adhere to. It is becoming increasingly clear that young Han Lin’er is a king without a country.

TOGHUN TEMUR or HUIZONG (惠宗), Emperor of GREAT YUAN: Huizong presides over the remnants of the Yuan Dynasty, whose power has waned precipitously over the past twelve years. Once the ruler of all China, Huizong now has virtually no power in the south, although a few regional warlords still swear allegiance to him, some with more feeling than others (3). The military situation seems to have stabilized somewhat in recent years, and it is not out of the question that the Yuan could maintain their current position or even seize back some of the territory that they have lost since the rebellions began. Yet the best days of the dynasty are clearly in the past, and they could be swept from China altogether unless things get better quickly.

*Tensions between Zhu Yuanzhang and Chen Youliang, which had been building up for years, finally burst in the fall of 1363 when Chen moved his armada downriver in a full-scale attack on Zhu’s domains. Zhu rushed to the scene, and the two forces met on September 30 in the Battle of Poyang Lake, which involved both naval and ground forces. The fighting raged on for three days and three nights without end. Yet ultimately it was the weight of numbers that told the tale, and Chen’s forces won a smashing and decisive victory (4). Zhu Yuanzhang’s part in our story ends here; he was killed during the battle by an arrow straight through his eye (5). As Chen’s seemingly unstoppable force swept toward Zhu’s capital of Nanjing, now home to a struggle for preeminence among the remaining members of that unlucky warlord’s faction, it appeared as though Chen’s Han faction was in the ascendance. Yet he had not counted on an intervention from his neighbors to the north and west. In the end, perhaps the only true winners of the Battle of Poyang Lake were the vultures.

NOTES
(1) Not really the same as the later White Lotus sect other than the name. While the Yuan White Lotus is all about the imminent return of the Maitreya Buddha, the later White Lotus worshipped the “eternal Mother” and was a bit more messianic. Our guys are more into vegetarianism and meditation. Well, that and killing Mongols.

(2) This is Beijing by a different name (Beijing has had a LOT of different names over the years). In Chinese it’s 大都, although that’s not really important to know or anything. It’s not like there’s going to be a quiz.

(3) Foremost among these loyal warlords being Basalawarmi in Yunnan, who will enter the story by and by. Foremost among the not-really-loyal warlords is Fang Guozhen, who has already been mentioned.

(4) And here’s our POD. In real life it was Zhu Yuanzhang’s army that emerged victorious from the Battle of Poyang Lake. It really could have gone either way, though, as Chen had quite the numerical advantage, and in this timeline it did.

(5) OTL it was Chen Youliang who met his end in this decidedly unpleasant manner.

*Welcome aboard the subversivepanda timeline train. Unlike a lot of previous efforts, I’ve actually got a pretty solid idea of where I want this one to go in the initial stages, which could be either good or bad. I’m hoping to dispense with the war-torn chaos period relatively quickly - I’ll be sticking to this straightforward here’s-what-happened style until then for reasons of clarity - and then when we get to postwar I’d like to switch it up a little and work in some short story-ish updates as well as some “primary sources.” The ultimate goal is to sketch out the early years of a non-Ming successor state to the Yuan, and I think I’ve picked a fairly interesting candidate. Thanks for reading.

maverick

Banned
That was a truly informative beginning. Love all the backstory, specially the Pirate King and the, of all things, Manichean Warlord. Is there anything warlord periods in China don't have? :D

A pity the warlord period won't last long, but I can't wait to see who'll come on top. I'd say Zhang has the best shot, being that he is cautious and patient and can sit this one out and pick the pieces once the bloodshed is over, but Ming would be the most interesting option perhaps, at least from the little description you give.

Last edited:
(2) This is Beijing by a different name (Beijing has had a LOT of different names over the years). In Chinese it’s 大都, although that’s not really important to know or anything. It’s not like there’s going to be a quiz.
ok, I looked this up ('cause I learn so much from your TLs), and Wiktionary says it's the adverb 'generally'. Is this a phonetic rendition of something that made sense in Mongol? (Given they give the pinyin as dàdōu
rather than 'Dadu', that may be the case?)

Hendryk

Banned
Another interesting and, as far as I'm aware, never explored POD for Chinese history. You're really good at coming up with those.

maverick

Banned
That's not saying much: you could do almost anything with China in here and it would be completely unexplored for everyone else. :p

Faeelin

Banned
Interesting.

My one quibble is that the Ming in OTL started out fairly millenarian, and we know how long that lasted.

Aaaaah so a certain winner may not throw out the White Lotus Doctrine to favor the Confucian Officals? Nice~ :D

A pity the warlord period won't last long, but I can't wait to see who'll come on top. I'd say Zhang has the best shot, being that he is cautious and patient and can sit this one out and pick the pieces once the bloodshed is over, but Ming would be the most interesting option perhaps, at least from the little description you give.

One thing about this period is that there are a large number of figures who could realistically have won. I can think of about ten possible scenarios just off the top of my head. And Zhang Shicheng is an interesting character - I read an article once speculating that, had he won power, we might have seen a Southern Song-style trade-oriented regime based on the geographical and social underpinnings of his power.

ok, I looked this up ('cause I learn so much from your TLs), and Wiktionary says it's the adverb 'generally'. Is this a phonetic rendition of something that made sense in Mongol? (Given they give the pinyin as dàdōu
rather than 'Dadu', that may be the case?)

都 can be pronounced two ways, either as du or as dou. As du it just means "city" or "metropolis"; it's the second character in Chengdu, for example, and Dadu just means "great city." As dou, the character usually means "all," although it's used in other constructions as well. A good example sentence is 我们都喜欢吃冰淇淋 (Women dou xihuan chi bingqilin, or "We all like to eat ice cream").

Interesting.

My one quibble is that the Ming in OTL started out fairly millenarian, and we know how long that lasted.

Good point, although I'd argue that Zhu never really took to millenarianism and his nods in that direction were more of a tactic intended to placate the quite numerous adherents of the millenarian sects until he had firmly consolidated power. There will invariably be something of a tug-of-war between the Confucian scholar-elite and the more revolutionary members of whatever dynasty eventually comes to power, though, and that's a subplot that I hope to explore in more detail later on.

Another interesting and, as far as I'm aware, never explored POD for Chinese history. You're really good at coming up with those.
That's not saying much: you could do almost anything with China in here and it would be completely unexplored for everyone else. :p

It's certainly unfortunate that we don't have more China (or East Asia in general) timelines, but it's not too surprising either. Given that the forum's membership is composed almost exclusively of those from "Western" countries, whose knowledge and interests are slanted towards history from those regions, one can't be too shocked when Asia, Africa, et al. are given short shrift. It's unfortunate, as I said, but I don't think it's a shortcoming of the forum; it's merely a byproduct of the demographics of our membership. And frankly, were we to see more China TLs I'm terrified that 90% of them would be as vapid and content-free as the ones that pop up every twelve seconds about the American Civil War or some such popular topic.

It's certainly unfortunate that we don't have more China (or East Asia in general) timelines, but it's not too surprising either. Given that the forum's membership is composed almost exclusively of those from "Western" countries, whose knowledge and interests are slanted towards history from those regions, one can't be too shocked when Asia, Africa, et al. are given short shrift. It's unfortunate, as I said, but I don't think it's a shortcoming of the forum; it's merely a byproduct of the demographics of our membership. And frankly, were we to see more China TLs I'm terrified that 90% of them would be as vapid and content-free as the ones that pop up every twelve seconds about the American Civil War or some such popular topic.
I suppose that at least - or possibly not, given the point you raise about the TLs not in the tenth percentile - China tends to get dedicated updates every now and then, which is... something, although far, far, far from enough. Especially given that such a significant percentage of the high-quality China TLs we get are produced by one poster.:eek:

While I am at it, allow me to say that I will follow this TL with great interest. Your TLs certainly haven't been vapid and content-free so far, and this does not look as if it will be an exception!

I realize now by looking at the title that the Xia aren't going to be the winners. Oh well, I like the White Lotus too. I want to compare how you run with them compared to what I did with them in my TL. I dare say you might have access to better sources than me.

都 can be pronounced two ways, either as du or as dou. As du it just means "city" or "metropolis"; it's the second character in Chengdu, for example, and Dadu just means "great city." As dou, the character usually means "all," although it's used in other constructions as well. A good example sentence is 我们都喜欢吃冰淇淋 (Women dou xihuan chi bingqilin, or "We all like to eat ice cream").
Thank you, sir.

AH!

I remember me asking you a bit about this, and behold, here it is. And yes, who needs Zhu anyway.

As usual, I'll be following with great interest.

After the death of Zhu Yuanzhang and the defeat of his Ming faction at the Battle of Poyang Lake, a succession struggle broke out in Nanjing, as Zhu’s wife Ma Shi maneuvered to ensure that Zhu’s firstborn son, Zhu Biao, would succeed his father as the King of Ming. She was opposed by many of Zhu’s generals, who believed that leadership of the faction should fall to Han Lin’er, son of Han Shantong and the man whom Zhu himself had theoretically supported as the one to claim the Mandate of Heaven. Han, who had formerly been under the protection of Liu Futong and his Northern Red Turban faction, had been rescued by Zhu earlier in 1363 after Zhang Shicheng launched an assault on the Northern Red Turbans; he had been brought to Nanjing, and his status was somewhere between that of guest and prisoner. There were many in the Ming camp who believed that, with the passing of Zhu Yuanzhang, it was only natural that Han Lin’er assume his rightful place at the head of the rebel forces (1). It is uncertain whether it would have mattered had the Ming united quickly behind one claimant or another; as it was, their indecision and infighting combined with the weakness of their forces after Poyang Lake made the Ming faction ripe for the plucking by the ascendant Chen Youliang, whose armies moved steadily east towards Nanjing in the early months of 1364. Several of Zhu’s former generals renounced their allegiance to the Ming faction, throwing their lot in with Chen or Zhang or even attempting to set themselves up as independent warlords. None would be successful.

Meanwhile, the other rebel factions attempted to adjust to the suddenly altered strategic situation. For Fang Guozhen, the Pirate King, it mattered little who ruled in Nanjing; his armada continued to rule the southern coast and prey on any shipping that looked like an inviting target. Zhang Shicheng, meanwhile, seemed to have an opportunity to make himself unquestioned master of the Chang River delta; with the Ming in full-scale collapse and Chen Youliang’s Han faction weakened after the decisive yet costly victory at Poyang Lake, many counterfactual historians have speculated that had Zhang made a decisive move south in 1364 he might well have been able to crush both the Ming and the Han. For whatever reason, Zhang did not pursue this course of action, instead opting to send troops north to finish the process of crushing the Northern Red Turban faction, which was on their last legs after the death of Liu Futong in 1363 and the removal of Han Lin’er to Nanjing under Ming protection (2). While the other rebel factions battled each other unceasingly on the Central Plain and the twisted byways of the Chang River and its tributaries, Zhang Shicheng was content to play the waiting game, as he sat patiently in Suzhou and waited for the Mandate of Heaven to fall into his lap. Only time would tell whether this relatively passive course of action would pay off in the end. For now, Zhang could wait secure in the knowledge that his faction was unquestionably the richest, and was also perhaps in the best long-term position of all.

Zhang Shicheng may have been content to let the chips fall where they may in the aftermath of Poyang Lake. Far to the west, however, Ming Yuzhen, King of Xia, was in no mood to do likewise. Far from the relatively cordial relationship that he had enjoyed with Zhu Yuanzhang, Ming utterly loathed Chen Youliang; it never escaped his mind that Chen had ascended to his present lofty position by betraying and murdering Xu Shouhui, the man to whom both Chen and Ming had once, long ago, sworn allegiance to. From his capital at Chengdu, deep in the heartland of Sichuan, Ming had nursed his hatred of Chen for years. After hearing of Chen’s magnificent victory and the death of Zhu Yuanzhang, the King of Xia flew into a deep and murderous rage. He abandoned his long-planned and much-awaited invasion of Yunnan, then under the control of the warlord Basalawarmi, who had never wavered in his loyalty to Great Yuan, and prepared instead to move his armies downriver and bring on a decisive confrontation with Chen’s faction (3). In the coming clash between the Xia and Han factions, Chen Youliang would undoubtedly possess the greater number of troops; he could perhaps place the greatest number of men in the field out of all of the rebel leaders. Ming, on the other hand, possessed the advantage of surprise, in that he had been relatively out of sight and out of mind in Sichuan, and no one anticipated his sudden entry into the fray. He also hoped to take advantage of the wearied and depleted state of Chen’s forces, whose victories against the deceased Zhu Yuanzhang’s faction had come at a heavy cost, and had been campaigning without pause for the better part of a year.

In fact, Ming’s army took advantage of their sudden entry into the conflict even more than one might have expected. It was not until they were almost a hundred kilometers deep into Hubei that Chen Youliang received news of the invasion, upon which he immediately broke away from his campaigns on the Jiangsu-Zhejiang border and turned west to face the foe. The armies met in south-central Hubei in early July of 1364, outside the city of Jingzhou on flat and marshy land to the east. Ming had purposely attempted to place his force away from the Chang River, as Chen’s naval power was far superior. Although it is impossible to state with any certainty how many troops were on the field of battle, both commanders led armies of tens of thousands of men, with Chen holding a slight numerical advantage. The engagement continued for two days without a decisive breakthrough for either side - and it was this, in the end, which decided the victor. Chen’s forces, which had been on constant campaign for months and had engaged in a lengthy forced march simply to reach the battlefield, crumbled and broke on the third day of fighting (4). Ming Yuzhen, King of Xia, swept his enemies from the field, winning a special prize when Chen Youliang was captured alive, wounded by a spear to the leg but otherwise in good condition. He would not stay in good condition for very long. While there are various stories relating the ultimate manner of Chen’s demise, it is clear that he was tortured to death in some especially gruesome fashion by Ming’s executioners, which earned the King of Xia the sobriquet of “Ming the Merciless” (残忍之明, canren zhi ming) as the tale spread far and wide.

Even more so than was the case with Zhu Yuanzhang and the Ming faction, the death of Chen Youliang spelled the end for his Han faction. All that was left was for Zhang Shicheng and Ming Yuzhen to pick at the carcasses of these waning powers. For the remainder of 1364 and throughout the year of 1365 the two major surviving rebel leaders did exactly that, incorporating the remnants of Zhu’s and Chen’s factions into their ranks either by persuasion or coercion. It was Zhang who came away with the rich prize of Nanjing, Zhu Yuanzhang’s former capital, after Zhu’s widow Ma Shi cut a deal with him to open the gates in return for Zhang giving her son rank and title when he attained his majority. Zhang’s forces captured Han Lin’er, the would-be king, during the tumult that accompanied their descent on Nanjing; Han was unceremoniously drowned in the Chang River. Ming Yuzhen was hardly idle either, as he took advantage of the collapse of Ming and Han to occupy the majority of Hubei and northern Jiangxi (5). While Ming and Zhang did enter into some sort of negotiations during 1365, their diametrically opposed ideologies made any agreement unlikely at best. Zhang was an devotee of Confucianism whose power was mostly rooted in the support of the privileged classes, while Ming, whose faith was Manichaeism, drew support from the poor. He thus attempted to unite the remnants of the Red Turbans around his person as the sole surviving adherent of the millenarian movements among the warlords, while Zhang began more earnest negotiations with the tattered remnants of Great Yuan, hoping to secure an autonomous kingdom in all but name for himself. None of these plans and stratagems had progressed far before the spring of 1366, when the two warlords would engage in what proved to be the decisive campaign of the entire rebellion.

NOTES
(1) Obviously this didn’t happen IRL, what with Zhu winning, but I think that it’s a rather probable outcome in the event of his defeat, given that his oldest son is only seven years old and thus in no condition to assume leadership of anything, plus you’ve got Han Lin’er just hanging around as a claimant to . . . well, to something.

(2) As was the case in OTL. Zhang didn’t take decisive action against Zhu after the latter had defeated Chen in real life, so I have a hard time seeing why he’d act any more decisively against Chen after the defeat of Zhu and the Ming faction as is the case in this timeline.

(3) OTL Ming did indeed invade Yunnan, which turned out to be less than a rousing success. ITTL, his unconcealed hate for Chen Youliang leads him in a different direction.

(4) As they’d say where I’m from, Chen’s troops are wicked tired. Chen had a reputation for impetuousness, and after the victory at Poyang Lake he got a little careless when it came to defending his western border.

(5) I’ll generally be using modern names for cities and especially provinces to avoid confusing the hell out of everyone.

*Score one for the Manichaeans. I said that I wanted to get the war-torn chaos period out of the way fast, and I wasn’t kidding: next update will be the final showdown between Zhang and Ming, followed rather quickly by the winner’s move against the Yuan. As always, thanks for reading.

While there are various stories relating the ultimate manner of Chen’s demise, it is clear that he was tortured to death in some especially gruesome fashion by Ming’s executioners, which earned the King of Xia the sobriquet of “Ming the Merciless” (残忍之明, canren zhi ming) as the tale spread far and wide.
You are good at incorporating popular-culture references in your TLs in ways which make much sense, I must say...
Hm... well, it is a bit too early for Gordons to mess things up for this Ming, I guess...

Ming the Merciless, I like that. And unlikely candidate as a winner, for sure. You're really removing all the usual suspects :p