How much did things cost in the 1920s?

wormyguy

Banned
Well? What did things cost back then?
Way back in Middle School I was handed out a piece of paper with the prices for various foodstuffs, consumer goods, and other items in 1929. It's long gone, but I can remember that a used Ford cost $50 and a new Packard cost $2200, because I was amazed at how much less cars cost back then. Potatoes were $0.01, if I recall correctly, and were the cheapest vegetable. Other fruits cost a few cents. A new radio receiver cost $20, if I'm not mistaken.

Way back in Middle School I was handed out a piece of paper with the prices for various foodstuffs, consumer goods, and other items in 1929. It's long gone, but I can remember that a used Ford cost $50 and a new Packard cost $2200, because I was amazed at how much less cars cost back then. Potatoes were $0.01, if I recall correctly, and were the cheapest vegetable. Other fruits cost a few cents. A new radio receiver cost $20, if I'm not mistaken.

A radio was almost half the price of a car, even a used one? Goddamn. And just think how shitty those radios were, too.

So... this isn't a DBWI in which we make up prices for how much stuff cost in an ATL '20s?

Last edited:
So... this isn't a DBWI in which we make up prices for how much stuff cost in an ATL '20s?

No, although that's kinda what I thought it was before actually entering.

A DBWI like that would be kinda cool. Slowly reveal the culture of our new world through talking about costs and things: "A new Wilson car was only $800! :eek:" "Yeah, things got a lot cheaper after the car companies were nationalized."

IC: Well, those clunky gasoline-powered mechs that they had in the twenties... they cost $50,000 to buy. That's about $500,000 in today's dollars. Course, if you had the know-how and access to a decent junkyard, you could build your own for $2,000, most of which went into buying that gasoline-powered engine. Now, before you get all impressed, remember that these mechs were pieces of crap by our standards. They were slow, and all that we had to outfit them with back then was machine guns. Sure, they were pretty effective at mowing down infantry, but they were plum out of luck if a grenadier got anywhere near them.

Now, in WWII, the Krauts started arming their mechs with rockets. Oh, it was a dark day the first time we saw those on the battlefield. We cowered in fear every time those behemoths with the huge swastikas painted on the chest came lumbering onto the battlefield. That meant that some poor bastards were about to become hamburger if we didn't act right quick. Fortunately, those intimidating-looking swastikas also provided us with a good target to launch our mortars into...

Oh but I'm getting ahead of myself. Yeah, so, me and a few of my crazy anarchist friends scraped up some money, built us some small mechs, and fought in the Abraham Lincoln Mech Brigade of the Spanish Civil War. You know, now that I think of it, those Kraut "volunteers" on the fascist side learned a lot of lessons from their great loss on the Andalusian plains...