Titanic doesn't hit the iceberg. What causes the safety regulations to improve?

So I was talking to a friend the other day about shipwrecks and the effects on safety they had. Of course we ended up talking about the Titanic and how if she hadn't sunk how long until the safety regulations her sinking brought about would be implemented. I ended up deciding it wouldn't have improved until a disaster like the Titanic's happens while he said it would eventually happen regardless of the disaster and most likely before one strikes. So i'm bringing the question here for you guys to debate on. If the Titanic didn't hit the berg would it take a Titanic level disaster to improve the safety regulations or would they end up improving on their own before disaster strikes?

I've said it earlier: the RMS Titanic will be out of service within one year of inaugural trip because they discover serious structural cracking due to the poor quality of structural steel used in the construction of the ship. As such, the ship is laid up in drydock at the Harland and Wolff shipyard as they make a lot of modifications to fix and/or replace the cracked steel structural components.

Driftless

Donor
The sinking of the Lusitania? More people should have survived. That was the next largest liner to sink after the Titanic, correct?

I've said it earlier: the RMS Titanic will be out of service within one year of inaugural trip because they discover serious structural cracking due to the poor quality of structural steel used in the construction of the ship. As such, the ship is laid up in drydock at the Harland and Wolff shipyard as they make a lot of modifications to fix and/or replace the cracked steel structural components.

You mean the steel that was the best quality they had at the time? The same steel the Olympic had who while yes experienced cracks in it they only happened in her later years?

Honestly I don't think the sinking of the Lucy would change much. It was sunk during war after all.

But imagine everything that comes to mind when someone mentions theTitanic, shifted... and with someone to blame.
Bound to have some negative effects on the Treaty of Versailles.

But imagine everything that comes to mind when someone mentions theTitanic, shifted... and with someone to blame.
Bound to have some negative effects on the Treaty of Versailles.

I was talking in regards to the effects on the safety regulations. The Lucy's sinking as far as I know didn't have an effect on the ToV in the OTL and still wouldn't.

TFSmith121

Banned
Possibly, but having bodies floating ashore

Like the Lucy the sinking happened so fast nothing could be done to save most people. Plus half the life-boats are unusable anyways. Also she'll be relegated to the back pages of the newspapers quickly due to WW1.

Possibly, but having bodies floating ashore on banks of the Saint Lawrence makes it a little hard to ignore, plus the sinking was in May, not August or later...

Kind of hard to ignore.

If so, sometime after the war, then, presumably in the early '20s...

Best,

I don't mean it did much direct damage, but wasn't there a theory that the heat made the hull-plates brittle? I'm sure that would cause issues sooner than hull plates not subjected to that heat.

I don't mean it did much direct damage, but wasn't there a theory that the heat made the hull-plates brittle? I'm sure that would cause issues sooner than hull plates not subjected to that heat.

The fire was only in one bunker so any plates made brittle only would effect said bunker. It wouldn't make the other hull-plates brittle at all.

It would still make those plates brittle, which would show up a few years before any of the others needed serious maintenance.