Casting Call: 60's Avengers

So, I was thinking about the new movie coming out soon, and I thought about this: What if the Avengers was made into a film during its heyday in the 60's, with a similar technique as they did today, with individual films introducing each characters. And then, I though who might play each character. And I drew a blank. So, what actors/actresses might end up in a big budget version of the Avengers in the 1960's.

IMO, Adam West would make a great Captain America in this era. Maybe Burt Ward could be Bucky? They are, of course, famous for OTL's Batman television series which ran in 1966.

Steve McQueen to play Captain America
Fred Gwynne as the Hulk
Jane Fonda as the Black Widow (get over it)
Roger Moore as Tony Stark
Bruce Dern to play Hawkeye

Though Gwynne was a good actor, I don't think he had the core beast to play the Hulk. I would suggest Richard Kiel (Jaws) who would had been in his mid twenties at the time

John Wayne as Captain America. Admit it, you know you want to see that. :p
Cary Grant as Iron Man.
James Mason as Thor
Honor Blackman as Black Widow
Arnold Schwarzenegger as the Hulk
Gregory Peck as Bruce Banner
Kirk Douglas as Hawkeye
Script by Dalton Trumbo
Directed by Stanley Kubrick. Admit it, you'd watch a Stanley Kubrick comic movie. :p

Last edited:
William Shatner as Steve Rogers / Captain America
Martin Landau as Tony Stark / Iron Man

Both are well-known names but not quite A-list (i.e. not above taking roles on TV), which seems to suit a superhero movie made in the 60s (which is guaranteed to be a children's movie).

In a 60's Avengers film, the primary female Avenger would almost certainly be the Wasp since she was the main female member of the team during that decade. Any appearance by Black Widow would probably be as a villain because she was originally introduced in 1964 as an Ironman villain and did not join the Avengers until the 70's.

Alright, I went with a 60's Avengers line up, mainly the original ones plus the new found Captain America from the Ice.

Captain America - Richard Basehart
Iron Man - Gig Young
Thor - Buster Crabbe
Wasp - Yvonne Craig
Ant Man/Giant Man - Guy Williams
Hulk - Jim Brown

Loki - David Niven
Namor - James Coburn
Baron Zemo - Yul Brynner

IMO, Adam West would make a great Captain America in this era. Maybe Burt Ward could be Bucky? They are, of course, famous for OTL's Batman television series which ran in 1966.

If only Bill Dozier had seen the Captain America 1940s serial at the Playboy Mansion in the 60s instead of the 1940s Batman, history could have turned out that way.

Alright, I went with a 60's Avengers line up, mainly the original ones plus the new found Captain America from the Ice.

Captain America - Richard Basehart
Iron Man - Gig Young
Thor - Buster Crabbe
Wasp - Yvonne Craig
Ant Man/Giant Man - Guy Williams
Hulk - Jim Brown

Loki - David Niven
Namor - James Coburn
Baron Zemo - Yul Brynner

That could actually be a funny 60s silly comic book film, a little bit like Adam West Batman just with a team of silly heores fighting a equally silly team of villains.

Mine is a bit surreal but what about "Carry on Avengers"
Sid James as Captain America.
Leslie Philip as Iron Man.
Kenneth Williams as Thor
Barbara Windsor as Black Widow
Kenneth Connor as Dr. Bruce Banner
Bernard Bresslaw as the Hulk
Charles Hawtry as Phil Coulson
Jim Dale as Nick Fury

Mine is a bit surreal but what about "Carry on Avengers"
Sid James as Captain America.
Leslie Philip as Iron Man.
Kenneth Williams as Thor
Barbara Windsor as Black Widow
Kenneth Connor as Dr. Bruce Banner
Bernard Bresslaw as the Hulk
Charles Hawtry as Phil Coulson
Jim Dale as Nick Fury

This I would be willing to pay good money for.

Steve McQueen- Steve Rogers/ Captain America

Diana Rigg- Natasha Romanov/Black Widow

Burt Reynolds- Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Robert Walker Jr.- Dr. Bruce Banner

Steve Reeves- the Incredible Hulk

Nigel Green- Thor

Clint Eastwood- Hawkeye

John Wayne or (if you want to be progressive) Louis Armstrong or Sidney Poitier- Nick Fury

Alec Guinness- Loki

Honor Blackman- Maria Hill

Vincent Price- Dr. Eric Selvig