AH question

AH question

Would the existence of the same individual in timelines with POD's hundreds of years apart be proof of a creator? (By same individual, I mean same genetic structure and same biological parents)

Or let me put it another way. Would be reasonable to expect US President George Bush (Picking a name at random) to exist in a world where the American Revolution was crushed? Or in a world where the south won it's independence in 1862?

There would be a George Bush, but he wouldn't be the Dubya we know and hate-or love. :D

Though many AH writers like to have OTL figures as great as they as they are in OTL in their ATL. Though, the person in question porbally wouldn't even be alive since somehow one of their ancestors had died in the PoD or after it.

NapoleonXIV

Banned
Mr. G said:
AH question

Would the existence of the same individual in timelines with POD's hundreds of years apart be proof of a creator? (By same individual, I mean same genetic structure and same biological parents)

Or let me put it another way. Would be reasonable to expect US President George Bush (Picking a name at random) to exist in a world where the American Revolution was crushed? Or in a world where the south won it's independence in 1862?

That would also depend on how closely Dubya's family is connected to the US Revolution. If one of his ancestors is arrested and hanged before he has children....OTOH if his family wasn't even in the US at the time...BUT also note that either way he still might not exist. If his family wasn't here maybe they never came, and maybe never met his great grandmother etc etc.

Part of the fun of AH is figuring out who is what, and why, in the ATL

Whether it would be proof of a creator would depend upon your schema of why ATL's exist in your story. If the schema only allows of a finite # of Universes, and this number is low, and the existence of a Universe is dependent upon its probablity; then any improbability you find might point to a sentient source of creation. If the number is very large, or particularly if it is infinite, then improbablities indicate nothing; since all (or most all) events, however improbable, will happen.

Last edited:

HelloLegend

Banned
AH question

The Genetic sequence to create someone who looks like George W Bush isn't that hard to come by... Ever met anyone who almost resembled exactly like someone else you know...

To have an exact DNA match however is like a tornando building a 747...
and given enough chances at the random universe...

Then no, it would not be proof of a divinity, but at least very strong evidence towards divinity... which is absent from the current universe as it stands.