AH articles in military hist mags

Anybody ever read any good AH articles in military hist mags such as MILITARY HIST, MILITARY HERITAGE, WWII MAG, AMERICA'S CIVIL WAR, or CW TIMES ?

Grey Wolf

Donor
Melvin Loh said:
Anybody ever read any good AH articles in military hist mags such as MILITARY HIST, MILITARY HERITAGE, WWII MAG, AMERICA'S CIVIL WAR, or CW TIMES ?

No, but if you turn it around I have read some VERY GOOD historical articles in wargames magazines, one even helped me with one of my Finals papers fopr my degree by focusing on the Greek naval side of their war of independence, basically a load of pirates from what I recall. They've also recently had some good articles oin Askaris. They often start as a good incentive to go and look for more info. After reading the Askari article in a magazine I then purchased a load of purely historical books from The Wargames Foundry

Grey Wolf

Grey Wolf said:
No, but if you turn it around I have read some VERY GOOD historical articles in wargames magazines, one even helped me with one of my Finals papers fopr my degree by focusing on the Greek naval side of their war of independence, basically a load of pirates from what I recall. They've also recently had some good articles oin Askaris. They often start as a good incentive to go and look for more info. After reading the Askari article in a magazine I then purchased a load of purely historical books from The Wargames Foundry

Grey Wolf

What are Askari? That sounds a lot like "askeri" which was the Ottoman military class, so I'm guessing some sort of Arab thingie?

I think that the Germans (and possibly other colonial powers) used the term "Askari" to refer to native troops that served the colonial authorities in their colonies. For example, most of the troops that served under Von Lettow-Vorbeck throughout World War I were Askari.